11026Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: webbing strength

    Oct 31, 2005
      Tim,

      The way I hang a hammock with webbing, even though I use a knot, there
      is little loss of strength at the tree. This is because there is very
      little stress on the knot. Most of the stress is taken up by the wraps
      of webbing around the tree, and only a small portion is taken up by the
      keeper knot at the end. The same is true of a hennessey knot.

      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm

      Your point is well taken especially regarding the loop I make back at
      the hammock. This is the reson that I form that loop by sewing. It can
      be sewn, like Ed Speer shows in his book, by sewing the loop around the
      hammock. However, what I have begun to do is to sew a loop in the end
      of the strap and then bring the end of the strap through the loop to
      make a slip knot that goes around the hammock. With this set-up it is
      easy to remove the strap to wash the hammock. Add a whipped end to the
      hammock, and now I can quickly and easily remove the gathering at the
      end of the hammock to dry it quickly after washing.

      I read what Youngblood wrote about differential stress and agree with
      that too. This is the reason that climbing knots using webbing are made
      carefully without bunching the webbing.

      Risk
      Rick Allnutt MD
      Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
      http://www.wayahpress.com
      personal hiking website: http://www.imrisk.com