11022Re: webbing strength

    Oct 31, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:

      > some of you have talked about the strength of webbing (& rope too i
      > belive) being compromised w/ knots. so i`m wondering if webbing being
      > forced to bunch up tightly together will cause a weak place too?

      Tim,

      I always thought that rope strength was degraded with tight bends
      (which knots do) that required the individual fibers to stretch at
      significantly different rates. When that happens, the stress is not
      shared equally by all the fibers that make up the rope, with the outter
      fibers at the bend taking on more of the stress and causing them to
      fail first and at a lower stress than a rope without bends... it is
      like all the fibers that make up the rope are not working in unison, or
      parallel anymore. So applying that philosophy with webbing it would
      depend on how it is being reshaped. It seems like webbing is designed
      to handle tight bends along its flat part but not so much along its
      edge. But if you are just gathering webbing and rolling it into a
      tubular position, I wouldn't think you would be degrading its strength
      much, it at all.

      Dave
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic