11011Re: [Hammock Camping] dry sleep wear (was Cold weather hammocking)

  • Dick Matthews
    Oct 30 1:33 PM
      tim garner wrote:

      > chuck... this brings up an interresting point for this group to discuss. i`ve been told the same thing but often find it hard to actualy change down to the skin layer when it`s already cold. what seems to be a more workable system for me (& mabey a lot of others too) is to be wearing nothing but quick dry clothing, & layer on top of it as needed. your body heat will dry out that type of clothing fairly quick. mater of fact, when your out in wet conditions, that may be the only way to dry your clothing. the coldest trip i`ve been on was 6 below 0, & that system worked great. i wonder what other hikers do, especialy long distance & light or ultralight hikers? ...slowhike
      >.

      Tim,

      I have slept in my hiking clothes many times. I try to avoid it because
      it is not the lifestyle I seek on hikes.

      The Scots used their kilts (the whole nine yards) as attire and a
      sleeping system.

      During armed forces special forces training it is normal to sleep wet
      and warm in a poncho burrito.

      The reason I change into and sleep in clean dry long underwear is based
      on lifestyle preferences. I do not want to wash by sleeping bag very
      often. I want to clean my self up everyday, even if it is only wet
      wipes. Multiple layers makes the clean up process more complicated. On
      those occasion when I have had to use my long underwear as a part of my
      hiking clothes I am much more anxious because I know I have already used
      my safety margin.

      I own a number of tents and tarps, but my preferred shelter is a hammock
      for lifestyle/comfort reasons.

      I own a white gas and gas canister stoves, but prefer an alcohol stove
      for lifestyle reasons.

      Tim, you are gonna die if you keep sleeping in your hiking clothes
      <grin>. It won't be sleeping in your hiking clothes that killed you,
      but wearing the same clothes 24/7 does not make your life better.

      Hey, it was 33.3 degrees when I changed to hiking clothes this morning.
      Brisk, but not a horrifying experience. It did probably scar for life
      the folks in the next campsite <grin>.

      For multi-nights below freezing I highly recommend getting some
      experience using vapor barriers.

      Dick Matthews
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic