11004Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Cold weather hammocking

  • Chuck Henderson
    Oct 29, 2005
      remember that when you bed down for the night to wear
      clean long underwear and not the stuff you wore during
      the day, as that stuff is full of sweat and body oils.
      this makes for a very very cold night, some of my
      scout troop didn't listen to this advice last winter
      and absolutely froze!

      --- john hill <nil_dog@...> wrote:

      > thanks to all that replied. i've slept in my
      > mid-weights, pants, sweater, watch cap, nylon
      > pullover jacket, liner socks, hiking socks, blue
      > pad, 30 degree sleeping bag and have done ok with
      > the lower temps. i'm for not carrying any more than
      > i have to since i don't want the weight. expecting
      > mid 30's tomorrow night and i'm planning on hanging
      > up in the back yard and we'll see how that goes.
      >
      > john
      >
      > "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.F. Hill"
      > <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
      > > I'm curious. I read posts of folks sleeping with
      > underpads, overpads,
      > > aroundpads, everything and talking about 55
      > degrees and such. What
      > > are you wearing on your bodies when you do this?
      > Are you in your
      > > drawers or what?
      >
      > I wear light weight polypro tops & bottoms plus a
      > polypro bacalava
      > with med. weight Smart Wool sox.
      >
      > Worked for me last winter into the teens in Risk's
      > ZHammock.
      >
      > Worked for me last week in my new Speer with SPE at
      > 45 F.
      >
      > Used my zero sleeping bag as a quilt thrown loose
      > over me last winter.
      > Last week at 45 F, I used a thin light weight fleece
      > blanket.
      >
      > Warmer temps this past summer, no pads... Just
      > whatever I happened to
      > have on...
      >
      > Happy Trails,
      >
      > J.D.

      > Camping hammock Camping food Gsi outdoors Happy
      > camper Outdoors Great outdoors

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      > removed]

      Chuck
      counterculture in a conformist environment
      I BELIEVE the true path to life is with a perfectly poured pint of Guinness, and of course sharing the unique taste with fellow Canadians

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic