10945Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: modified hensley?

    Oct 23, 2005
      t- back... i sugested that my friend w/ the now modified HH replace the rope w/ webbing like you did. i think it makes set-up a little simpler too. i`m not following you on the 3 poles replacing the side tye-outs to hold the hammock open though. sounds interresting. mabey you can draw me a better picture:~} thanks...slowhike

      BRIAN <opnheartscrub@...> wrote:--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:

      > a friend recently bought 2 hammocks, a HH ultralight, & a speer.
      he
      > (& i also) like the way the HH lays, but wish it had a removeable
      bug
      > net like the speer. we were considering cutting the net just above
      the
      > hammock seam & adding velcro to hammock & net, or using a larger
      net
      > that would hang over the sides. any thoughts? thanks...slowhike

      Slowhike:

      I too took the plunge and modified my HH.

      I found that the attached bug net caused me to have to bend over too
      far (causing pain) to exit through the bottom slit, maybe I'm too
      tall. I removed the net and now use it as a top entry hammock or
      bottom entry without the hindrance of the netting. Next I got rid of
      the side tie outs and used three poles from my tarptent to hold the
      hammock open. This allows me to rock to sleep and also to remove
      the poles and use a peapod for warmth. I am also going to attach
      netting around the perimeter of the hammock that drapes to the
      ground and forms a small screen room underneath. This allows me to
      bathe and cook/eat bug free and climb up through the bottom slit to
      retire for the night. This is really helpful when I am canoeing as
      some of the islands I camp on are shaded enough to have mosquitoes
      out and about all day long. Finally I have removed all but the first
      loop of rope and replaced it with poly webbing. This has nothing to
      do with my back just makes set up easier for me. I use this setup
      only when canoeing during mosquito season, as it is much heavier
      than my homemade version. So far I have found no need to remove the
      ridgeline but I would not hesitate to do so if it gave me an
      advantage in the way I use the hammock. Thanks for inspiring me to
      take on this project.

      T-BACK

      tim garner