10754Re: [Hammock Camping] Tree Damage

  • dlfrost_1
    Oct 13, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
      wrote:
      > My point
      > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
      > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
      > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
      > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
      > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
      > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
      > they attack something, junk science is always used.

      Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
      times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
      enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
      it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
      Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
      all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
      Service) can take years.

      I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
      we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

      Doug Frost
    • Show all 61 messages in this topic