10570RE: [Hammock Camping] Baden Powel - hammocker

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Oct 2, 2005
      > I was going through a list of paintings by Baden Powel, founder of Boy
      > Scouts. I found this image which he called My House in the Woods.
      >
      > It should look familiar to every hammock camper.
      >
      > I wonder why this image has not made it into the list of hammock
      > histories I have read?

      Mostly because I was not aware of it. ;) I'll fix that after a bit...

      > http://www.imrisk.com/bp-house-in-woods.jpg
      >
      > It looks like it is a spreader hammock, perhaps even a modified cot?

      It's called an Ashanti. Had you read my wonderful and thoroughly complete
      page on the subject, you would know this. ;)

      http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.ht

      The founder of the Boy Scouts, Sir Robert Baden-Powell, slept in hammocks
      when out of doors and recommended them highly. He even had one permanently
      set up outside his home, where he slept often. This was actually the
      Ashanti Hammock, which was less like a Mayan Hammock and more like a
      suspended cot. In Young Knights of the Empire, page 184, he wrote, "Another
      form of tent which I used in Mafeking and South Africa, and still use for
      sleeping out in, in England, is one which you would hardly call a tent. It
      is really a slung cot, with a moveable canvas roof to it. It is called the
      'Ashanti Hammock'. It packs up quite small, and is put up in a few minutes.
      Requires no pegs. Keeps you off the wet ground. And when the gale comes
      and all the tents in camp blow down, you lie there swinging gently in the
      breeze, the envy of all the rest. It also forms an excellent stretcher if
      you are ill and have to be carried; and if you die it also makes a very
      satisfactory coffin, being laced over you as you lie in it. Very complete,
      isn't it?"

      Can you give any more information about the painting so I can attribute it
      properly when I add it to the page?

      Shane
    • Show all 61 messages in this topic