Skip to search.

10548Re: [Hammock Camping] D.A.M. vs Underquilt - Why Choose?

  • Bill Fornshell
    Sep 28, 2005
      Dylan and others, On my Home-Made DAM (My pictures
      in the Albums) the Poly Tubing comes in a long
      seamless tube on a roll. You cut it what ever length
      you want your DAM to be and with a "Heat Seal" thing
      you double seal one end. You make a sleeve wide
      enough for however many tube you want and as long as
      you want your DAM to be.

      The open end of the Poly Tube is used to slide your
      baffles with the Down into it.

      As a side note you can remove the Down baffles to dry
      out if necessary or to leave out for summer use. You
      can also make another set of Down baffles for
      different temperatures. My DAM is made for "0" F
      degrees.

      Once the Down baffles are in the Poly Tubes you can
      blow them up with air and roll the end closed. I use
      a small light balloon pump then clamp the ends closed.
      You sleep on your DAM and in the morning or when ever
      you remove the clamp, let the air out and pack it all
      up.

      One of my Poly Tubes 5" wide (Flat) 78"+ long and with
      a baffle containing 1oz of Down weights 1.5oz. My
      latest DAM has 7 Poly Tubes (10.5oz) plus the weight
      of the sleeve. Add the weight of your sleeve (3 to
      4oz) and you get a DAM that gives you 3.5" loft about
      30" wide and 78" long well under 16oz. My new one may
      be about 14oz total. Cost - 7oz of 800+ Down (about
      $56), 7 (5" Flat) Poly Tubes 85" long (less than $10),
      Sleeve material (5 yards at ??) and a weight of (for
      me) .5 to 1 oz a sq yard. My sleeve weight can be as
      low as 2.4oz. for my new one.

      This is a total weight of about 14oz and a cost of
      about $110(+/-) a little if you go with some really
      high cost material or a lot cheaper if you use some
      cheap stuff from Wal Mart. My first one was made from
      some $1 a yard (2oz a sq yard) stuff from Wal Mart.

      In contrast my Warmlite DAM cost $165 and weighs about
      27oz counting the blow up bag.

      The hidden advantage to my DAM is that I can use the
      Down baffles from the Poly Tubes in something else
      during the day.

      Bill in Texas

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic