10536Re: [Hammock Camping] Exped DAM

  • richard_nisley
    Sep 27, 2005
      You have come up with a very intriguing concept! Your idea has the
      added benefit of having bottom insulation that is applicable if you
      have to go to the ground using the hammock as a bivy. The under
      quilts don't allow for this contingency.

      In hammocks like the HH, do you think that the approximately 3" of
      insulation under you may result in too confining of a top space?
      What hammock types are you going to test with? Do you think the
      wider Exped Dlx would eliminate the requirement for the SPE and
      closed cell foam wings?

      Richard

      > Bill - Below 30F is why I'm looking at the DAM. I figure I can do
      > it with underquilts, but I want to test the weight and bulk for
      the
      > same warmth once it gets really cold.
      >
      > - JRB Nest and NS - 42 oz, 7x7x14 stuffed, $400
      >
      > - Exped DAM 7 - 35 oz, 5x12 stuffed, $150
      > -- SPE with pads - ~10 oz, plus the bulk of the CCF wings
      >
      > The thing is, 2 underquilts give 3" of loft, just like the DAM 7
      > (2.8" fully inflated). And the bulk with the SPE wings makes them
      > about equal. However, according to Ed's site the DAM will get you
      > to 0F. (Youngblood says that hasn't been tested, but it's an
      > extrapolation.)
      >
      > I don't think the 2 JRB's will get me to zero, but I don't know
      that
      > for sure. I hope to find a place to test them both soon!
      >
      > What's the coldest you've been in yours?
      >
      > Thanks for the comments, guys! Anyone else want to post cold-
      > weather (below ~15F) results?
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic