10299Re: [Hammock Camping] Silk Hammocks

  • Ray Garlington
    Sep 1, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
      wrote:
      >... Is
      > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than nylon or poly?

      Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it dries very
      quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I notice this when
      packing early on a cool morning and there is some condensation
      inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for that).

      >Now
      > that you've been using it a while, how's it holding up to wear and
      > tear?

      The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem I've had is
      that some substance dripped on the silk (bird droppings?) and looks
      like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric. The fabric
      darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a couple of spots.
      I suppose it could also have been an actual burn, not sure...
      Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since silk sews very
      easily, it seems like this could be effectively patched.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic