10122Re: [Hammock Camping] RE: snakeskins and hammocks and kayaking

  • Sandy Kramer
    Aug 11, 2005
      shane, that was super.....you have given me more reassurance viz what to do if there are no trees available.

      I also re-watched your snakeskins segment and although I love the way my Byer's folds into its own stuff sack (that is later an outside pocket when you are in the hammock), their use as rain drip protectors seems interesting.

      i believe someone said they either had or were going to make a pair. since i'm going to order some silnylon, i might as well try making some reptile skins. if anyone can PM me directions, dimensions, photos, I would appreciate it.

      sandy

      Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
      > I can do a hammock on the ground with rain and up to 20
      > knot winds. Above that, I've found the tent to be a
      > better option. Some of my trips involve being landbound
      > with 40 knot wind days.
      >
      > How do you set yours up in sand?

      I have pictures and a description in this report:

      http://tinyurl.com/a5qx

      In high winds, it's important to put the low end into the sand, and into the
      wind. Then I bury the edge of the tarp in sand. I've taken sustained 45
      knot winds with this and similar setups.

      Shane