10076Re: [Hammock Camping] Bear questions (was alternate route )

  • Sandy Kramer
    Aug 10, 2005
      FICKLE!!!!

      so as not "waste" this double post.....I read that in some parts of the AT people are required to stay at certain campsites/shelters. and some of them have anti-bear chain link fronts.

      so, what happens if you are hammock camping?

      and if the shelter is full, then people have no option but to camp outside, but does that mean you are supposed to stay within a certain perimeter.

      I've gone from being thankful to getting away from gators to worrying about bear encounters. ALMOST bought the $2.99 bear bell (sounds as if you are calling them to dinner!). Does anybody use them?

      Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...> wrote:
      tx...well, people are so fickly anyway and June '06 is a long way off...i may be lucky to have one or two people with me!!

      Tripp Clark <trippclark@...> wrote:Sandy,

      In the true spirit of HYOH (Hike Your Own Hike), in most areas
      groups are not a true "no-no." Look at Warren Doyle, a polarizing
      person in trail discussions but unquestionably someone with
      considerable AT experience . . . more than nearly anyone. He takes
      groups out on a regular basis.

      Leave No Trace ethics (http://www.lnt.org) preaches against large
      groups. Groups always present more impact and tend to stretch the
      boundaries of campsites.

      If you choose to stay at or in shelters, and are fortunate enough to
      have a shelter to yourself or with few others, you will probably not
      have issues. On the other hand, if you opt to stay at campsites in
      between shelters you will find very few that can accomodate groups.
      Of course, if you are all or most hammocking, this is less of an
      issue.

      I hope this helps.

      Tripp

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
      <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
      > So far I have two confirmed friends accompanying me, but we may
      end up being 5 or 6. Did I hear something about groups being a no-
      no?

      Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors

      Sandy Kramer
      work # 305-471-1913

      Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors