10000Re: Loop hike info?

  • marta_clark
    Aug 7 7:22 AM
      > > Any reason for picking one direction over the other?
      > Coy Boy

      I've run into people hiking both directions. The trickiest part of the
      whole thing is the Kimsey Creek Trail, which is ambiguously marked.
      (Or at least it was the two times I've hiked it.) There's something to
      be said for getting that out of the way at the start of your hike, when
      you're relatively fresh and not pressed for time. It might be easier,
      too, if you start at the parking area and hike up towards the AT. The
      Kimsey Creek Trail runs along the creek, which is quite large. Knowing
      that, it might help you choose the correct option among the various
      blue-blazed paths. In Feb., my hiking partner and I spent quite a bit
      of time detouring along various path options and ultimately
      bushwhacking, trying to find the car. Another group of hikers, who had
      started the same morning we started, but were going the opposite
      direction, had gotten lost on the KC Trail and had spent four hours,
      they claimed, pursuing the wrong blue-blazed path, then backtracking.

      Marta
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic