RE: [hameltech] 11112: Balancing Cone

  • Jon C. Munson II
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      your cone should not 'rest' on the oscillator, but instead 'touch' the oscillator.  the magnetic rings should 'float' the cone.  this is probably the cause of your imbalance.  one other possibility is the strength of your magnets - they may be off enough to cause the 'tip.'  lastly, check the 'alignment' - ensure that all of your magnets on each ring are on the same plane.

      one more word about floating the cone.  the cone needs to be supported (not contained) by the magnetism of the ring.  you may have to add weight to the cone (or use weaker magnets) to lower it further into the field.  you want it placed just before the 'snap' or 'neutral point' in the field.  i am not sure how to explain this better - maybe chris or ole or justin can provide a better written description.  the magnetic viewing film can assist with this if you cannot feel the field properly.

      if you are building a mini, i believe chris wrapped some copper wire around the magnets to help unify the field.  you may wish to check that.

      hth,
      jon

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          Thanks Jon,

          I tinkered with smaller rings last night and think I found the right
          size. It is a little strong but if I add weight to the cone it
          should be alright.

          I think I have the setup close now. I am going to put together three
          cones this week. And the other two rings this weekend.

          Thanks again.

          Mike

          --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, "Jon C. Munson II" <jmunson@h...>

          Service.