Re: Geometry/Weight Cone Testing

  • Mike Morrissey
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2000
      Ludo-

      My Universe Model consists of:

      1. A circle track for a steel ball to roll in. This track is tilted
      from horizontal slightly, so that the ball will settle at the low
      point.
      2. A disk magnet offset from center in the middle of the track. This
      helps pull the magnet to the top. If you consider 0 degrees the
      positive X-axis, and 90 degrees the positive y-axis, then the magnet
      is offset around the 95 degree mark, with the low point of the track
      at the 270 degree mark.
      3. A ring of magnets directly above the track which helps reduce the
      force of gravity at all points on the ball path. The interesting part
      is this: The plain in which these magnets are oriented is first
      aligned parallel to the track plain, and then shimmed up at the 180
      degree mark.

      Like I mentioned before, this is nothing more than a curved SMOT. I'm
      just sure this can work, and so I release this idea saddly to the
      public, since I have not gotten it to work yet. I would have liked to
      have positive results to release as well.

      When you plot all of the forces individually (use x-axis as the
      position on the track in radians----use y-axis as the force acting on
      the ball--forces that help the ball move forward are positive, forces
      that hinder the ball are negative), you get some interesting sine
      looking waves. Then when you sum them, you have positive directional
      forces on ALMOST the entire revolution of the ball. The one spot
      where you don't depends upon the weight of the ball and velocity of
      the rotation to get past this spot.

      I hope you try this. After working with it a while, you will see how
      directly this relates to the oscillation of a cone.

      Mike Mo.

      --- In hameltech@egroups.com, "Ludo Willems" <willems_segers@p...>
      wrote:
      > Mike,
      > This looks very promessing, if you have plans please let me know,
      I'd like
      > to do some experimenting myself
      > Regards,
      > Ludo