RE: [hameltech] Re: Resonate Freq of a coil.

  • Russ Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
      Hello Justin,

      The answer to your question depends on a few variables you have
      not yet mentioned pertaining to your application, such as how the
      coil will be coupled in your intended circuit. There are so many
      variables, a little more information is necessary to scope the
      problem. What kind of bandwidth, for instance, do you want this
      coil to respond to? What kind of Q do you want?

      Here are a couple of quick-study refreshers to acquaint you with
      some of the basics. In your typical LCR circuit (a coil with
      inductance L, resistance R and capacitance C), resonance is when
      the inductive reactance (X sub L) is made equal to the circuits'
      capacitive reactance (X sub C). To complicate matters, these
      two have opposite effects on the impedance (Z) of the circuit.
      X sub L and X sub C can only be equal for one frequency, and it
      is this relationship that allows resonance (and radio) to work.

      Here are some links for you to look over at your convenience:
      http://www.tpub.com/neets/
      http://www.tpub.com/neets/book9/index.htm
      http://www.tpub.com/neets/book9/34b.htm
      http://www.tpub.com/neets/book9/34.htm

      They discuss some basic principles that you might not have seen
      on the Tesla sites you've looked through. Since the diameter of
      the coil-wire and the spacing of the windings is of most concern
      to you, consider the effect of increasing or decreasing these on
      the reactive inductance and reactive capacitance of the whole
      circuit that your coil is part of.

      You can e-mail me off-list if you have more questions. I don't
      have all the answers, but if I don't know the answer directly,
      I can certainly tell you where to find one that works for your app.

      Best Regards,

      Russ Jones, Lightwave Engineer
      Johnston Technical Services