Re: Resonate Freq of a coil.

  • jszymanek2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
      I have ~5-6 of these programs. I would like the formulas so I could
      manipulate them to solve what I need. One of the program tells the
      best wire gauge to use, but you can't input it.
      Any electrical engineers in the group ;-) ?
      -Justin

      --- In hameltech@y..., "Georgia Hartley" <ghartley@t...> wrote:
      > search the tesla sites, I've seen one or two programs there that can
      do that
      > but I can't remember where and they've probably moved by now.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Russ Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
        Hello Justin,

        The answer to your question depends on a few variables you have
        not yet mentioned pertaining to your application, such as how the
        coil will be coupled in your intended circuit. There are so many
        variables, a little more information is necessary to scope the
        problem. What kind of bandwidth, for instance, do you want this
        coil to respond to? What kind of Q do you want?

        Here are a couple of quick-study refreshers to acquaint you with
        some of the basics. In your typical LCR circuit (a coil with
        inductance L, resistance R and capacitance C), resonance is when
        the inductive reactance (X sub L) is made equal to the circuits'
        capacitive reactance (X sub C). To complicate matters, these
        two have opposite effects on the impedance (Z) of the circuit.
        X sub L and X sub C can only be equal for one frequency, and it
        is this relationship that allows resonance (and radio) to work.

        Here are some links for you to look over at your convenience:
        http://www.tpub.com/neets/
        http://www.tpub.com/neets/book9/index.htm
        http://www.tpub.com/neets/book9/34b.htm
        http://www.tpub.com/neets/book9/34.htm

        They discuss some basic principles that you might not have seen
        on the Tesla sites you've looked through. Since the diameter of
        the coil-wire and the spacing of the windings is of most concern
        to you, consider the effect of increasing or decreasing these on
        the reactive inductance and reactive capacitance of the whole
        circuit that your coil is part of.

        You can e-mail me off-list if you have more questions. I don't
        have all the answers, but if I don't know the answer directly,
        I can certainly tell you where to find one that works for your app.

        Best Regards,

        Russ Jones, Lightwave Engineer
        Johnston Technical Services