Re: [hameltech] 45 gallon drums

  • jdobson@dellepro.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
      Ummm, I'm trying to find the best place to buy a 45 gallon drum and for some
      reason the closest size would be the 55 gallon drum. Are there any places
      that will sell 1 45 gallon drum that anyone knows of, or can I go ahead and
      use the 55 gallon drum, and how much will I have to modify the instructions?

      In addition, would 1.38 inch diameter malachite spheres work decently? I
      cannot find balls that are exactly 1.38 inch except for these. (I'm trying
      to use the natural substances where possible.

      Furthermore, where in the heck do I find bicycle rims that are 15-16 inches
      in diameter? Does anyone have a clue?

      Thanks in advance,

      Jessica
      "Constant exposure to dangers will breed contempt for them." --Seneca
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
        Jessica,
        45 gal Canadian = 55 gal American. you can use either.
        The important thing about the balls on the oscillator
        is that they insulate the cones from the drum. If
        malachite is a conductor, that can be a problem.
        I'm not sure what malachite is so... i dunno.
        15-16 in bicycle rims are found on kids bikes and
        on the trick bikes you see on tv , there is a name
        for them but it escapes me at the moment. if you
        can't find the bike rims that fit your drum, just
        make something else that does fit. the bicycle rim
        is not a magic piece, it's just what Mr Hamel found
        laying around and he used it - just like the garbage
        can lid for the top :)

        Ole.

      • jszymanek2000@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
          45 Gallon drums (Canadian) and 55 gallon drums (US) are the same
          thing. Just the US and CAN "gallon" is different.

          The size of the balls is not critical in a 3CD. I used 1.25" marbles
          in mine. For the first stage of the UFO, the balls should be the size
          of the 7th level circle in the matrix. I am not sure if that is
          correct for the 3CD or not. Personally I think marbles are the way to
          go, as they are cheap and will insulate. Electrically connecting the
          plates (useing steel balls) will short out the machine and you may end
          up with a black hole (bad!).

          You want the cones to fit fairly tightly in the barrel, so the
          supsension rings are close the walls of the drum. Depending on the
          size of your magnets, a larger rim, like 19" might be better. I am not
          sure on the exact size David used. The plans David sent me are
          something Bob Thomas drew and built. So the sizes that David used may
          have well been different, but the basic design is the same. One thing
          the plans are missing is that the cups the balls sit in should be
          curved to comform to vesica with eye geometry. If you use 1.25"
          marbles, the cups need to be made by pressing a ball of 2.5" diameter
          into the material. So your cups need to have a radius twice of the
          balls.

          -Justin

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • jdobson@dellepro.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
            Justin,

            Thanks for clarifying what was mystifying me, lol.

            I think I'm going to try to find somehow how to make wood cups. I'm liking
            the idea and I'm trying to make this as sturdy as possible so that I at
            least have faith in it, lol.

            I had found the marble website that I found the malachite marbles on and
            there were other types of natural substances of which I'm sooooo glad I can
            get though they are a bit smaller. Again, you guys have been such a big
            help in my understanding. It's so good to know that there are people out
            there willing to answer my questions no matter how silly they are.

            Wish me luck!

            Jess
            "Examine the contents, not the bottle." --The Talmud

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
              Ole,

              Thank you for your help also. You are right, malachite would be a conductor
              as it has copper in it.

              I'm going to look into kids bikes, as always, yall are so much help!

            • jszymanek2000@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
                --- In hameltech@y..., <jdobson@d...> wrote:
                > Justin,
                >
                > Thanks for clarifying what was mystifying me, lol.
                >
                > I think I'm going to try to find somehow how to make wood cups. I'm
                liking
                > the idea and I'm trying to make this as sturdy as possible so that I
                at
                > least have faith in it, lol.

                That might be hard to do. For small machines I used quiksteel epoxy.
                For bigger cups I use cement. It would work very well. Just press a
                sphere the right size into it and let it harden. Clay would make
                awesome cups as well, but you would need to fire it.

                > I had found the marble website that I found the malachite marbles on
                and
                > there were other types of natural substances of which I'm sooooo
                glad I can
                > get though they are a bit smaller.

                I have used marbles from Toys R Us. Clay balls would be good to. That
                is how the Egyptians did it. As long as it is hard, insulates, and
                relationship between the balls and cups is right, your good to go.

                > Again, you guys have been such a
                big
                > help in my understanding. It's so good to know that there are
                people out
                > there willing to answer my questions no matter how silly they are.

                We were all in you shoes at one time. It is no problem. I have been
                building these machines for 3 years, and I have came up with a lot of
                ways to build things. I like passing on what works, so others don't
                have to do what I had to (try a billon things ;-)

                -Justin
              • bsrinon@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
                  Steve,

                  To make a 60 deg cone, you would just need a compass to make a half-
                  circle. The side of the cone and the diameter at the base of the cone
                  is the same length. To determine the diameter, you need to decide
                  what gaps you want between your repelling/attracting magnets.

                  Once you calculate your diameter, stretch out your compass to the
                  length of your diameter and draw the half-circle. With the half
                  circle, you form your 60-deg cone.

                  Hope that helps.