M3CD2 Progress Report

  • The Szymanek's
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2000
      Hi,
      Tonight I grounded the shell to the screw on the electrical outlet, and
      set
      the machine on 1.5" tall wood blocks. The whole thing was up on a table,
      over
      the machine's total height. The run lasted 38 minutes. I didn't notice
      anything
      out of the ordinary, however I did bump the machine a few times. The
      wire that
      connects the rings to the shell was broken, and there wasn't connection
      during
      the run. That will be repaired tomorrow. The middle cone was tipped over
      and I'm
      not sure how long it was actually running. The oscillator needs a slight

      adjustment. When I re-glued the oscillator, it was a touch off. It
      affects the
      middle cone the most. I will adjust the oscillator and do another run
      tomorrow,
      hopefully a much longer, undisturbed run.
      -Justin
    • The Szymanek's
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20 9:27 PM
        Hi Everyone,
        The overhaul begins. I got a lot done tonight. I dismantled the old
        frame, and removed the oscillator. I carefully built a whole new frame.
        It is square on every axis, I am extremely pleased with it. I have put
        the screws in the "start" places, the balancing will begin next. I
        completed the cone centers, they now have 2" donut magnets on them. The
        wood discs are 3.5" in diameter. The plywood is 1/2" thick, so the top
        of the disc is right at the 4" mark, which is half way up the cone. I
        forgot to take that into account the first time. I have installed the
        new cone centers in the base and middle cones. I took a minute or two
        then, and loaded the base suspension ring into the frame. I got the base
        cone floating very good with little effort. It does come a little out of
        alignment if I rotate it however, the cone's magnets aren't perfectly
        perpendicular to the cone's center line. I am going to build a simple
        apparatus to correct this. I should be able to get the cones to balance
        perfectly then. I am extremely please with how things are going so far,
        better than I ever hoped for. Hopefully another day or two like today
        and we will be ready for testing. I will try get some pictures tomorrow,
        the camera's batteries are dead.
        -Justin
      • The Szymanek's
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
          Today was a good busy day in the shop. I resumed balancing the cones. I
          was having some problems, as usual. I had the middle cone floating out
          of whack. I discovered the base cone was the problem. I had it floating
          perfectly horizontally and vertically, but it was not centered inside
          the magnetic suspension ring. This screws up the middle cone. I played
          around with this for sometime, I adjusted everything, but it didn't fix
          it. It was driving me nuts, it made no sense. Everything was aligned
          correctly, yet it wasn't floating right. This problem has existed since
          I built this machine, but I have found ways to compensate for the
          problem. So I was sticking spacers between the frame and middle
          suspension to try fix it. It helped. But I still wasn't happy with it. I
          continued to investigate, and I discovered the source problem. I checked
          my magnets for strength, and discovered that a few were much weaker than
          the rest. The magnets I am using in this machine were given to me by
          Tracy. They were in some of Tracys prototypes. Now some of these may
          have been in rejection with others for very long periods of time (like a
          year in one of his UFO motors). This could cause the fields to weaken. I
          ended up replacing 5 magnets in my machine. The weak magnets have been
          placed in between to very big 5.5" speaker magnets, to hopefully
          re-align their dipoles. This is also why I do not leave the cones in the
          machine when I am not testing it. Long term rejection does seem to
          weaken the fields. After replacing the weak magnets, everything floated
          properly! I removed the spacers and stuff, and the cones are now
          floating better than ever! The cones now have more lift as I have
          balanced them correctly. Overall the balancing took about 4-5 hours (but
          it went quick after I fixed the magnet problem). I then wrapped the
          rings in wire, as Chris told me. Two wraps in-between each magnet, so it
          is not on the magnets, just in the cracks between them. This required me
          to remove and re-glue some of the magnets, in order to get the wire
          between them. I did some runs, without any success. Electrically
          connecting the top magnet to the lid did allow me to make a very slight
          coolness under the base vent however. I believe I have more lift on the
          middle cone than any of them, as it had equal lift before I fixed the
          magnets. Once I had put the new magnets in the middle ring it increased
          the lift. The middle cone will even jump out sometimes, so it has too
          much upwards force. This causes it to move in sync with the other cones
          some what. Raising the middle suspension ring should correct the
          problem. When the lift on each cone is equal to the others the vibration
          is the best. However I am pleased with today's progress, the balance is
          very good now, and the cones are all vibrating. Hopefully some small
          tweaking will get the vibration correctly out of phase.
          -Justin
        • The Szymanek's
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
            Here is the report I made to the group
            ----
[...]
            ---

            So hopefully correcting the middle cone's lift will resolve the fact
            that nothing is happening right now. It is moving more with the top and
            bottom cones instead out of phase with them. It has too much lift. I had
            it right, but after I changed some of the magnets it increased the lift.
            I will also be applying the aluminum to the magnets right away here
            too. Should I cover the rejection and oscillator magnets too? For the
            magnets on the suspension rings and cones, I am going to cover the faces
            of the magnets and the sides, but the aluminum won't go over the steel
            backing. Is that okay/correct? I just want to check before I do it, so I
            get it right the first time.
            Regarding the rejection magnets, I am thinking maybe what I could do is
            attach the magnet to the lid with bolts. I have the magnet on a 6" steel
            disc, and I could run 3 bolts from that disc up to the lid. The magnet
            wouldn't be on the lid, but it would be connected to it electrically and
            kinda magnetically too I think.
            Do you have the brand/product name of the epoxy you used? I will try
            get some next time I'm in town.
            Thanks!!
            -Justin

            -Justin
          • The Szymanek's
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 23, 2000
              I have been busy lately and I haven't got much of a chance to work on
              the machine for a few days. Anyway I continued to fight with the middle
              cone, trying to balance it. It seemed to be good, and then it wasn't. I
              would make a correction, and it would just throw it out the other way.
              The magnetic coupling was too tight, and the cone too light. So after
              checking with Chris (see info from Chris update, 7-23-00) I decided to
              build a new middle suspension ring. I constructed the new ring today,
              and it turned out very good. The middle cone now has the same air gap as
              the top and bottom cones. The motion is good. The cones float like they
              aren't even there (weightless). The middle cone behaves much better now.
              The balance appeared to be perfect, but it did not appear to for long.
              The cones are all not centered in the rings, althought they are standing
              properly. I am not sure what is off. I worked to correct it, but with no
              luck. I did many test runs anyway, but nothing. I have while playing
              with the machine outside the shell noted very brief times were it feels
              colder around the rings or between the oscillator plates. However I am
              not yet getting the breeze. I am thinking the poor balance (centering)
              is to blame. This will be my next thing to try and fix. I will also get
              some pics of the thing when I can get the digital camera again. The
              machine is a lot different from how it was a while ago.

              -Justin
              PS- I added new Info From Chris to my site.