[hameltech] Re: 45GD Test Report

  • David Koukourou
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1 6:22 AM
      Stitches? what happened, are you ok?  It sounds like good progress otherwise, have you thought of any way to prolong the static?  can you move the radio around and find the source (ie the top or bottom of the drum).

      David K

      The Szymanek's wrote:

      Hi,
          Well yesterday I got my stitches out, and today I ventured out to
      the shop in what seems like forever. My cut isn't totally healed yet,
      but with two opposing thumbs working just about normal, I was able to
      resume work. I made repairs to the M3CD, after it was damaged when I cut
      my thumb. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the M3CD, I want to
      scrap it and build a bigger one. I also made a steel cap for the top of
      the staff housing on the 45GD, and ran some tests on the still
      incomplete machine. I did get some static created, however it always
      died off. This is basically what happened without the staff, when I just
      spun the cones to create some vibration. I am not totally pleased with
      how the staff turned out. I will be making some changes, and try to get
      it working better. In the mean time I think I will focus on building my
      second M3CD, which won't be as mini (at least 8" cones, maybe more). I
      will be using AZ block magnets, and should be able to achieve incredible
      lift on the cones. I hope that will be able to get everything balancing
      properly in a larger device.
      Anyway needless to say, I am back, not that I was ever really gone :-)
      -Justin

      MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
      Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as
      Apply NOW!
      http://click.egroups.com/1/2067/1/_/264697/_/951882529/

      -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hameltech&m=1

    • The Szymanek's
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1 3:58 PM
        Hi David and everyone else,
        I am fine. I cut my thumb open last week while working on the M3CD.
        I was drilling a 3/4" hole in the base piece of the shell, a disc of
        tin. I was using a flat wood drill bit (which I guess I shouldn't have
        been using), and it caught when it went through. The disc went spinning
        like crazy and cut a 1/4" deep gash in my thumb. Got 6 stitches for it.
        It's a lot better now, although not perfect yet. I am just glad I have
        all my digits still :-) I finished drilling the other holes last night.
        This time I set it on the floor, on wood blocks, and stood on it while
        drilling. 2 of the 3 holes tried to spin the disc as well, but they were
        going anywhere. My steel toed rubber boots didn't let them. It goes to
        show you should always use the proper tools, or rig up the improper
        tools in a "safe" way :-) Seriously, the important thing is to wear
        leather gloves while working with tin. I was except when drilling the
        holes. Duh! Oh well.
        The idea of the staff is to complete the isotope line so the machine
        will keep running, and produce further effects. I am unhappy with the
        plunger magnet. It is adjustable, but is can move a bit horizontally. I
        am thinking of making a rigid stand for it, so it can't move. Another
        idea I have is to use bigger magnets to support the staff. If I rip off
        the round ones, and replace them with AZ block magnets, I will have way
        more lift. This means I can apply more downward pressure, via the
        plunger magnet, and make it push the cones more. I think that if I can
        get the staff working well enough it will create the continuous
        instability we need....
        -Justin

        David Koukourou wrote:

        > Stitches? what happened, are you ok? It sounds like good progress
        > otherwise, have you thought of any way to prolong the static? can you
        > move the radio around and find the source (ie the top or bottom of the
        > drum).
        >
        > David K
        >
        > The Szymanek's wrote:
        >
        >> Hi,
        >> Well yesterday I got my stitches out, and today I ventured out
        >> the shop in what seems like forever. My cut isn't totally healed
        >> yet,
        >> but with two opposing thumbs working just about normal, I was able
        >> resume work. I made repairs to the M3CD, after it was damaged when I
        >> cut
        >> my thumb. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the M3CD, I want
        >> scrap it and build a bigger one. I also made a steel cap for the top
        >> of
        >> the staff housing on the 45GD, and ran some tests on the still
        >> incomplete machine. I did get some static created, however it always
        >>
        >> died off. This is basically what happened without the staff, when I
        >> just
        >> spun the cones to create some vibration. I am not totally pleased
        >> with
        >> how the staff turned out. I will be making some changes, and try to
        >> get
        >> it working better. In the mean time I think I will focus on building
        >> my
        >> second M3CD, which won't be as mini (at least 8" cones, maybe more).
        >> will be using AZ block magnets, and should be able to achieve
        >> incredible
        >> lift on the cones. I hope that will be able to get everything
        >> balancing
        >> properly in a larger device.
        >> Anyway needless to say, I am back, not that I was ever really gone
        >> :-)
        >> -Justin

      • ROBERT B NAYSMITH
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1 9:37 PM
          HI JUSTIN

          NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK AS I CHECK YOUR SITE DAILY AND WAS GETTING LONELY

          GOOD TO HEAR YOU GOT THE STITCHES OUT AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE OK?

          HAVE JUST GOT MY 45G DRUM FINISHED,HAD TO MAKE THE REJECTION MAGNET WORK.
          I HAVE RUN A FEW TEST RUNS AND HAVE SOME STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN.
          WITH THE TV ON I PUT THE LID ON AND WAIT ,ABOUT A HALF HOUR LATER I GOT
          SOME ONE INCH LINES ACROSS THE TV ,NOTHING TO THE SOUND BUT TWO OR THREE
          LINES A THE SAME TIME WITH A LOT OF SMALL - - - - - IN DIFFERENT PLACES.
          THIS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES SO I WOULD ADJUST THE RINGS AND TRY AGAIN.
          I DID THIS SEVERAL TIMES AND SEEM TO LOOSE A LITTLE EACH TIME AND THIS
          WOULD ONLY HAPPEN ONCE IN A WHILE WITH THE LARGE LINES.

          BOBN12@...
          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • Ludo Willems
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2 11:39 AM
            Hello all,
            Good to here that Justin is refurbished! Robert seems to have some
            interesting phenomena happening. I remember suggesting to Justin (quite some
            time ago, before this group was born) that if one could observe the
            influence of the experimental 45GD, not only on the static(interference) of
            a radio, but also on other apparatus that are sensitive to disturbances in
            the magnetic environment, maybe more pieces of the puzzle could come
            together. A simple addition : put a simple compass on a table some distance
            away from the machine, and put a videocamera over it, recording any
            variation during the run of the machine. Cheap and easy.
            Ludo
            > NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK AS I CHECK YOUR SITE DAILY AND WAS GETTING LONELY
            >
            > GOOD TO HEAR YOU GOT THE STITCHES OUT AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE OK?
            >
            > HAVE JUST GOT MY 45G DRUM FINISHED,HAD TO MAKE THE REJECTION MAGNET WORK.
            > I HAVE RUN A FEW TEST RUNS AND HAVE SOME STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN.
            > WITH THE TV ON I PUT THE LID ON AND WAIT ,ABOUT A HALF HOUR LATER I GOT
            > SOME ONE INCH LINES ACROSS THE TV ,NOTHING TO THE SOUND BUT TWO OR THREE
            > LINES A THE SAME TIME WITH A LOT OF SMALL - - - - - IN DIFFERENT PLACES.
            > THIS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES SO I WOULD ADJUST THE RINGS AND TRY AGAIN.
            > I DID THIS SEVERAL TIMES AND SEEM TO LOOSE A LITTLE EACH TIME AND THIS
            > WOULD ONLY HAPPEN ONCE IN A WHILE WITH THE LARGE LINES.
            >

            > BOBN12@...

            > @Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
            > Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data. Install
            > your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
            > Click here.

            > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hameltech&m=1

          • The Szymanek's
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2 3:42 PM
              Hi,
                  Hey this is great! The field is starting to form, good, your on the right track. Does your machine have 2 or 3 cones? Also I have a few suggestions. I don't know the exact setup your using, so some of this questions may not be fitting. Try increasing or decreasing the air flow thought your machine. Probably go for increasing, depending on how much you have currently. Also another thing to try is wrapping your magnetic rings in wire. Get some bare wire, oh 24 gauge (or something around that) and wrap the outer rings. Go two wraps per magnet. So the wire goes over the middle of the magnet, and then at the spot were the magnet meets the next. If that didn't make any sense, just ask, I will try to explain it better. Anyway go from the top ring to the middle ring, and then to the base ring. Each ring should be wound in opposite direction as the last. (ie, CW, CCW, CW). This improved my barrel device's performance a lot, although the fact that I only have two cones is preventing it from working (that is why I am building a staff). This wire winding is described at http://members.xoom.com/hameltech/minidevice/Index.htm
              by Chris, builder of the working M3CD. An additional thing you may want to try is gluing small donut magnets in the center of your cones, North pole up. This is also something Chris' machine had, and he told me to use it. It makes sense really, the UFO "cones" have the donut magnets in the center, and in the middle. I think it may be a necessary component that most of us have missed. Anyway try some of them things if you like, and let us know what happens. Also please let us know a bit more about your device (design). If it's screwing up the TV, your definitely on the right track.
              Good Luck!!
              -Justin

              ROBERT B NAYSMITH wrote:

[...]

              http://click.egroups.com/1/1830/1/_/264697/_/951977188/

              -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
              -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hameltech&m=1

            • Patrick Parsons
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2 10:56 PM
                HI Justin!

                Glad to see your back in action and one piece again.
                I found some alum. pizza pans ( deep dish) I am going to get to use in my
                machine for the
                inner and outer rings. I'll of course be cutting the center of the pans out
                and only using the rims and sides.
                Hope to get them in a few days. The cost is not bad at all, by using them
                I'll have good true "round" rings to start off with.

                Keep us posted.
                I will as soon as I get something put together.

                Patrick.

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2 11:08 PM
                  HI JUSTIN

                  I DO HAVE THE DONUTS AT THE BASE OF EACH CONE, AND SEEMS TO HELP.

                  I HAVE TO CD DISC HOLES IN THE BOTTOM [ EACH SIDE OF DRUM] AND TWO AT THE
                  TOP ON EACH SIDE.

                  I HAVE THREE CONES, BASE IS 17", MIDDLE 17" AND THE TOP IS A 8 1/2 INCH
                  CONE
                  AS THIS ALLOWS ME TO SEE BETTER INTO THE DRUM AND IS THE BETTER OF MY
                  LAST 17" CONE AND THE 8 1/2 INCH. THINK I WILL MAKE ANOTHER 17 ''CONE TO
                  REPLACE THE ONE I CAN"T SEEM TO BALANCE WELL.

                  THE CONES ARE NOT SPINNING BUT ARE VIBRATING AS YOU SUGGESTED, I READ ON
                  ONE OF THE OTHER WEB SITES THAT MR. HAMEL HAD 1/4/" GAPS ,THREE 17''
                  CONES WITH OSCILLATOR. THAT IS HOW I SET MINE UP.ALSO MR. HAMEL SAID HE
                  DID NOT SPIN THE CONES TO START IT, BUT SIMPLY PUT THE LID ON. I FIND IT
                  HELPS TO SPIN THE MIDDLE ONE THEN PUT THE LID ON.I HAVE ADDED THE CENTER
                  MAGNETS AS MENTIONED AND WILL ADD THE WIRE WHEN I GET IT RE SPOOLED.
                  THANKS FOR THE IDEAS AS I"M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A WAY TO BETTER IT.
                  THANKS TO CHRIS ,SEEMS TO BE THE ONE WITH GOOD INFO AS HE HAS ALREADY
                  PRODUCED RESULTS WE CAN USE.

                  BOBN12@...
                  Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                • Paul N
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2 11:36 PM
                    Robert,

                    Thanks for the great message. Only one polite request....could you not
                    capitalize all your letters, as it is hard for some us to read. ;-)

                    Thank You!!

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 3 9:55 AM
                      Hi Patrick , are you putting together steel and aluminum in your rims??
                      would be interesting to know 'cause I am making my M3CD in this way ,with
                      the capacitor approach and your idea about the pans is fantastic I'll use it
                      in my bigger designs cause as I see it getting a neat design takes time and
                      practice. Thank You. Diego
                      > Glad to see your back in action and one piece again.
                      > I found some alum. pizza pans ( deep dish) I am going to get to use in my
                      > machine for the
                      > inner and outer rings. I'll of course be cutting the center of the pans
                      out
                      > and only using the rims and sides.
                      > Hope to get them in a few days. The cost is not bad at all, by using them
                      > I'll have good true "round" rings to start off with.
                      >
                      > Keep us posted.
                      > I will as soon as I get something put together.
                      >
                      > Patrick.
                      >

                      > > Hi,
                      > > Well yesterday I got my stitches out, and today I ventured out to
                      > > the shop in what seems like forever. My cut isn't totally healed yet,
                      > > but with two opposing thumbs working just about normal, I was able to
                      > > resume work. I made repairs to the M3CD, after it was damaged when I cut
                      > > my thumb. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the M3CD, I want to
                      > > scrap it and build a bigger one. I also made a steel cap for the top of
                      > > the staff housing on the 45GD, and ran some tests on the still
                      > > incomplete machine. I did get some static created, however it always
                      > > died off. This is basically what happened without the staff, when I just
                      > > spun the cones to create some vibration. I am not totally pleased with
                      > > how the staff turned out. I will be making some changes, and try to get
                      > > it working better. In the mean time I think I will focus on building my
                      > > second M3CD, which won't be as mini (at least 8" cones, maybe more). I
                      > > will be using AZ block magnets, and should be able to achieve incredible
                      > > lift on the cones. I hope that will be able to get everything balancing
                      > > properly in a larger device.
                      > > Anyway needless to say, I am back, not that I was ever really gone :-)
                      > > -Justin

                      > > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
                      > > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
                      > > 0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
                      > > Apply NOW!
                      > >
                      > > -- Easily schedule meetings and events using the group calendar!
                      > > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hameltech&m=1

                      > Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning
                      and
                      > supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!

                      > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=hameltech&m=1

                    • The Szymanek's
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 3 3:46 PM
                        Hi,
                            Do you have air vents on the top and bottom lids of the barrel, or ones at the base and top of the cylinder (the flat circular ends)?  You may wish to make vents on the top and bottom of the barrel, and put it on blocks so it can allow air flow. I don't know if it matters or not. You said you were making another 17" cone, that is a good idea. If you shrink the diameter of the middle cone's suspension ring, so the air gap is less, and tighter. This will give you extra support for that top 17" cone. It is also important because the middle cone is "neutral", it's job is pass the motion down to the base cone, and back up again. David Hamel has said to make the middle ring smaller (NOT the cone, the outer ring), and Chris has as well.
                        Anyway, best of luck!
                        -Justin

                        ROBERT B NAYSMITH wrote:

[...]

                        http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/1/_/264697/_/952067431/

                        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=hameltech&m=1

                      • ROBERT B NAYSMITH
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 3 9:50 PM
                          HI jUSTIN

                          i HAVE HOLES ON THE SIDES OF THE BARREL [ ROUND PART] OF THE
                          CYLINDER,
                          THEY ARE MARKED FROM A COMPUTER CD DISC. THEY ARE ABOUT 9" FROM TOP EACH
                          SIDE AND ABOUT 9' FROM THE BOTTOM EACH SIDE. THERE ARE FOUR HOLES,
                          TWO ON EACH SIDE.

                          My middle cone is actually a little larger than the top and bottom not by
                          design but by chance and needs to be changed i know.
                          The middle cone is about 3/8 " gap and i'll have to change the magnets
                          if i reduce it or build a new ring.the problem is the 1/4" gaps top and
                          bottom are small as is and i don"t know if i can get away with 3/16 " on
                          the middle one.

                          I've thought of increasing the top and bottom to 3/8 and the middle to
                          1/4" gaps.It seems i"m redoing more than i"m testing so i try to learn as
                          much as possible from each step.

                          with my setup know i have noticed a line of dashes [ static lines on the
                          tv that go from bottom of screen to top and thought at first it may have
                          been passing cars or something but if i pull the lid off the barrel they
                          stop.

                          the interesting thing is it starts with a single row of little white
                          lines scattered at first then more until a different line of these go
                          across the screen in about 20 - to30 minutes
                          I'll have another and they become stronger.after two hours thats as much
                          as i get so these changes we are taking about need to be done. The
                          thought crossed my mind that an oscilloscope may be a good way to go as
                          the lines on the screen seem to be about the same.
                          today i put the wire on my outer rings, before i did i went to your site
                          and read chris's
                          article on the mc3d where he said he used copper wire so that"s what i
                          used. the mention has been to use magnetic wire and to me that seems to
                          make the copper wire wrong???????? any help??????

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 3 10:46 PM
                            Hi Diego

                            I have not started on the building just yet, I'm collecting materials.
                            I have 500 magnets. and some steel banding plus a few other miss. parts.
                            I am in a toss up on which design I will try first. The drum device has it's
                            appeal. I am thinking of making one using 30gl. drums. I was thinking of
                            stacking two of them and making it with 5 or 6 cones.

                            The second design is a bit like John Searl's device. make of magnetic rings.
                            I believe I can construct magnetic rings that will stack and use the weight
                            of the rings above to give magnetic compression and add a top compression
                            ring to add even more compression. The rings would float one above the other
                            . One design the rings would be made from 2" square alum tubing. The other
                            design the rings would have inner and outer edges that are at 45 deg. angles
                            with each ring smaller as the stack goes up. Picture a large alum cone about
                            2 ft high and 2ft wide. cut it into 2" wide rings. Mount the magnets on the
                            inside and out side of each ring and stack the rings then add compressing
                            pushing the the rings closer together.

                            These are basic ideas I'm tossing around as I search out parts. I also
                            intend to learn how to weld alum. I can weld steel quite well. My spare time
                            is very limited and far between so I do what I can , when I can.

                            If most of this seams like rambling, just ask and I'll try to be more
                            specific.

                            Patrick.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 3 10:53 PM
                              Hi,
                                  The middle cone being a bit bigger may not be a big deal, but I can't really tell you for sure. Rather than rebuilding a magnetic ring, all you have to do is remove a few magnets from it. Then cut the weld or tape or whatever holds it together, cut the excess banding, and rejoin it, so it meets the proper diameter. I did this with my top cone's ring, and it worked quite well.
                                  Don't worry about having to redo some parts of the machine. After all every time you change something you learn more. Sooner or later you will hit the proper combination.
                                  Magnet wire should be fine, because it's normally copper. I bought some copper wire for my machine at Radio Shack. It's called magnetic wire. I guess they sell it for building electromagnets. Copper wire and magnet wire are one in the same, unless I am mistaken. I doubt the composition of the wire matters (unless iron, maybe?). I believe that the pipe in Hamel's UFO and the plaster of paris in Steve Thompson's machine serve the same purpose as the wire.
                              -Justin

                              http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/1/_/264697/_/952149020/

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 4 5:06 AM
                                    The wire I believe is for winding motors and transformers etc.  It is special because it should be coated with a thin coloured insulation.  So the only thing that is good may be that the coil of wire is insulated from the machine.  Hmm  say Justin can you see how much current you get from the ends of your coil?  Should be something and maybe pulsing.
                                    The other thing I wanted to ask was to Robert.  How long is your machine going for and do you need to keep it going or does it run friction free by itself?
                                    The lines on your screen sound like the lines I see when I set the wrong refresh rate for my computer monitor.  Maybe if you could re-calibrate a monitor then you could find your machines magical frequency.  Also what could these signals be, magnetic interuptions or radio/VHF UHF..?

                                Dave K.

                                ROBERT B NAYSMITH wrote:

[...]

                                Click Here for Move.com!
                                eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hameltech
                              • ROBERT B NAYSMITH
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 4 8:47 AM
                                  Hi dave

                                  the longest i"ve run the machine is about two 10 minutes, I spin the
                                  cones to help start it but they only spin for a minute or so and stop,
                                  the vibration of the cones is all thats happening
                                  and is very small. the cones as i watch them move no more than a 1/16 of
                                  an inch or less
                                  and i think this is why i don"t get anymore than i do .
                                  Mr. Hamel said that his cones vibrated about an 1/8 of an inch and the
                                  isotopic line about
                                  a 1/16 of an inch.
                                  so although i"M on the right track i need to get twice the amount of
                                  vibration i"m getting at this point.
                                  i don"t know how to re calibrate a monitor so will have to stay with
                                  tv.the channels are Denvers 2 -4 and seven that i get the static on so if
                                  I call the stations they can tell me what frequency they run at i have
                                  not done this as yet.
                                  these stations are in the VHF range though.
                                  an interesting note is that at first most of the static was on channel 2,
                                  when i put the copper wire on the rings this changed to channel 4 as the
                                  one with the most static but they both developed two static lines
                                  running from bottom to top of the screen.this over a period of 30 minutes
                                  or so.
                                  i adjusted the cones and rings so much that I"ve lost my lift on the
                                  middle and top cone which ended up in a loss of vibration so i need to
                                  redue them but will wait until I"ve done the other things first. resize
                                  the middle ring and such.but this shows me how impotant the lift is too.
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 4 11:55 AM
                                    If the cones appear to stop moving, don't stop the run. If the longest you have done is 10 minutes, you should try for longer, like 30-60 minutes! When the thing is going to work the cones vibration slows, and may appear to stop. It's just in resonance then. Thats when the real fun starts to happen. Chris' machine took 20 minutes to get warmed up. So be sure to try increase the test run time, as something may be trying to happen, you just got to give it a chance and see before you start making changes.
                                    -Justin

                                    http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/1/_/264697/_/952188488/

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 4 9:53 PM
                                      Hi justin

                                      my typeing leaves a lot to be desired as I thought i put down two hours
                                      ten miuntes but as i see it says two ten minutes.
                                      i have been trying to put the 17" cone back in my machine today and just
                                      can"t get to balance so wiil try some more. I got the center pin off
                                      center and thoght I had it but guess
                                      not.
                                      with the center pin off a 1/16th of an inch thecone moves about3/16 from
                                      top cone to bottom and locks up one or more cones, if iadust for those
                                      then the other one locks up.

                                      funny how such a small amount will do that.

                                      I'm hanging in there thogh sunday is another day and who knows
                                      maybe??????