Re: [hameltech] 11112: Alright, I'm going to build it.

  • Ole Jensen
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2012
      Dev in PA,
      I want to congratulate you on your decision to try something.
      Not many people have. Mine is still in pieces and boxes waiting for time.

      I think that everyone who has talked to Mr Hamel in the past about
      a "mini" version of the 3 cone device can recall his response (note caps)
      BUILD BIG!!! SMALL WON'T WORK!!!
      He was very specific about that. The smallest he ever intended
      was in a 45 Gallon drum (55 in the USA).

      Tom was successful, but had some personal difficulties which prevented
      him from continuing to communicate with us.

      I know for sure that Steve Dufresne took his whole setup to show it to Mr Hamel
      and they discussed it at length. I suggest that you look carefully at what Steve
      did and documented.

      I wish you luck in your efforts and keep us posted. There are a few people here
      who have made progress and I think will help with whatever advice they can
      from their personal discussions with Mr Hamel.

      If you can obtain a copy of the book "The Word Made Manifest Through Sacred Geometry"
      by Bob Thomas, it will help you a great deal.

      Ole.

      On 3/19/2012 8:06 PM, intuit0001 wrote:

      I've decided I'm going to give the 3cd another shot. More than one, if
      that's what it takes. Be warned that I'm going to try to make the
      record here as complete as possible, so my posts are gonna get
      long-winded. I type fast, so I can crank out a lotta babble right
      quick.

      I've been digging around in all the old info, here in the group and out
      there in the interweb. The device I linked to in the previous thread
      is still the best all-around example of success I can find. There have
      been more spectacular claims (implosion) made by other builders, like
      Chris Felton, but none as well-documented.

      The unit I'm most interested in was built by hameltech member Tom, last
      name unknown. He has a folder in the files section named 'Tom2', and
      the other member who verified the machine's function also set up a
      folder in the file section - folder named gumboots2u.

      At the same time that Tom was reporting success, another member - Brian
      Keohi was also reporting some success. Unfortunately there seems to
      be no independent substantiation of Keohi's progress, or text/photo
      details of his construction.

      Two more factors incline me to use Tom's device as the model for my own
      project. First, his posts reveal him to be an astute and patient
      observer who explored this field with humble curiosity and intelligence.
      Second, he was privileged to work personally with David Hamel in Hamel's
      shop. He wasn't the only one, I know. But he's the only one I know of
      who also had a device that actually did something *and* he supplied
      significant documentation.

      I should mention right now that I'm not at all certain what that
      'something' was. Tom describes the device as 'running' for two days. I
      take that to mean vibrating. The mundane explanation for that would be
      that Tom had built himself a well-balanced magnetic bearing that was
      extremely sensitive to ambient disturbance, be it acoustic, thermal,
      electromagnetic, physical, whatever.

      If I was *really* skeptical I could take the position that the device
      didn't even run for two days - but it was so sensitive that it
      vibrated whenever an observer approached, thus giving the impression of
      non-stop operation when in fact it was settling to complete inactivity
      whenever observers left it alone.

      I don't take that extreme position, but it has to be on the table as a
      possibility if I'm gonna keep this project intellectually honest.

      Of course another possibility is that the device was functioning as
      intended, tapping some esoteric energy source and performing work - in
      the strict sense of the word - oscillating the various masses involved.
      I'm not convinced of this, either. Just hopeful.

      Unfortunately, Tom's project suffered the same fate of no follow-up that
      is common here. Which is strange, given the degree of success he had.
      After reporting his success he posted regularly for a few weeks, then
      went silent. His last post was Sept. 29, 2001. Now I'm not saying the
      MIB with matching helicopters got him - my tin foil hat is not strapped
      that tight.

      I'm just sayin'. Here's a guy who not only built one of the best units
      around, but was dedicated enough to pack up his tools, including a
      welder, and head on over to David Hamel's place to work in the shop.
      That level of committment seems a little inconsistent with his silence
      here, to say the least. I don't know what this means, I just think the
      oddness of it bears mentioning. I'll leave it at that.

      As for my own project/s, I'm going to try something a little nuts before
      I go for replication of Tom's device. I understand that bigger is
      better, but of course the downside of 'big' is that the price scales up
      too, mostly in the extra magnet expense. Well, I can handle that if
      necessary, but first I'm going to try to dodge around that problem.

      I wondered what I might contribute to this group that isn't already
      here. Now I know that the first thing will be an attempt at a micro
      3cd. Not mini - micro! I haven't crunched any dimension numbers yet
      but I'm talking about cones somewhere in the neighborhood of an inch in
      diameter.

      With a mill or lathe I could still achieve high precision at this scale,
      of course. Don't have those. But I do have a decent drill
      press and I think with a little planning and a willingness to toss parts
      til I get a good one , I can nail tolerances of no more than a few
      thousandths of an inch. I also have a 40x stereoscope I can use to
      inspect small parts to make sure they're perfect.

      I'm aware that this is almost certainly doomed to fail. But I can do
      the whole thing with materials on hand, and I might learn a thing or
      two. Good risk/reward, in other words. Also, whether I succeed or
      fail, I will have a really cool desktop gizmo. The equivalent of an
      Elvis bobble-head for free energy geeks. :)

      Speaking of bobbling, I think the most challenging construction aspect
      of micro scale will be the cups and balls in the base. A tentative
      notion is copper BB's for the balls, and maybe grind out some glass for
      the cups. Looking for other ideas on this.

      I guess that's enough ramble for now. Gotta break out my wee magnets
      and micrometer and start working out dimensions based on Tom's plans.

      Cheers
      Dev in PA

      --
      Ole Jensen
    • intuit0001
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2012
        Thanks Jon and Thor for the pointers. Nice to hear from another long-time member, Thor. Seems there's still a spark of life in this group yet.

        I am in agreement that a micro version doesn't have a snowball's chance, and I can assure everyone that I'll get to the big stuff in due time, no doubt about it. This first round at micro scale is really just about getting my head back in this game. I don't expect it to work but I'm still going to build it to the highest standards I can manage. Just in case.

        I'm going to take my time and try to get as much background info as I can for each aspect of the build. It's both amazing and frustrating to cruise through the old posts here and see the work that was done and successes claimed.

        It's driving me a bit nuts when the old posts talk about 'only' achieving vibration. As if somehow that wasn't enough.

        I just want to point out, for the record - if anyone gets their device to sustain vibration, or change air temp, or just puff a slight, constant breeze without energy input of any kind... Well that's it! That's mainstream physics turned ass over teakettle, the modern economy made obsolete, and nothing less than the biggest leap in human evolution since we domesticated fire.

        After that, squeezing real power out is just a matter of details and scale.

        I don't mean to gripe too much, there's also a lot - a *lot* of hard work represented by the ~15k of posts here. Determination and dedication by the truckload. And generally a willingness to communicate and cooperate. I'm grateful for all of that, even when I'm fussin'.

        Now I've gotta go figure out my rod material and design, and my cone construction method, magnet mounting, adjustment mechanisms, dimensions, balancing methods, etc... ya know how it goes. I'll keep posting as I go.

        Cheers,
        Dev in PA

        --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, Ole Jensen <ole_thor@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > thousandths of an inch. I also have a 40x stereoscope I can use to
        > > inspect small parts to make sure they're perfect.
        > >
        > > I'm aware that this is almost certainly doomed to fail. But I can do
        > > the whole thing with materials on hand, and I might learn a thing or
        > > two. Good risk/reward, in other words. Also, whether I succeed or
        > > fail, I will have a really cool desktop gizmo. The equivalent of an
        > > Elvis bobble-head for free energy geeks. :)
        > >
        > > Speaking of bobbling, I think the most challenging construction aspect
        > > of micro scale will be the cups and balls in the base. A tentative
        > > notion is copper BB's for the balls, and maybe grind out some glass for
        > > the cups. Looking for other ideas on this.
        > >
        > > I guess that's enough ramble for now. Gotta break out my wee magnets
        > > and micrometer and start working out dimensions based on Tom's plans.

      • intuit0001
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25, 2012
          This is a long post that you don't need to read, it's just for the record. Bottom line is that this is a description of how I will choose the number of magnets to use, and then use that number to calculate a precise figure for the radii of the cones and rings. If you do happen to read through this, comments and criticism are most welcome.

          It all starts with a rough estimate of what size gap to use between cones and rings. This is accomplished with a sophisticated and elaborate procedure: I used one magnet to push another one on my desk in repulsion mode, and with a plastic ruler I was able to get an estimate of the distance at which the repulsion is strong enough to shove the magnet.

          It ain't science, but it's close enough fer gubmint work. It's just a way to establish a baseline.

          Distance between magnets shoving each other was about .75". So that's the gap I want between cone and ring, because at that distance they act strongly on each other but the fields are not compressed significantly. This is a Good Thing because if I use a cone of 1.5" diameter I will have reasonable assurance that the corresponding outer field of the cone will be fairly uniform. I want nice smooth fields because I suspect they will oscillate more easily if they are not packed tightly together. Consistent field strength should also ease the balancing process.

          Now I have a place to start in figuring out how many magnets to use. Cone radius will be about 0.75". Magnet radius (they're round, disc magnets) averages about 1/8", or 0.125". Unfortunately they vary by a few thousandths of an inch, from one magnet to the next. No big deal at larger scale, but with cones so small I'm going for max precision - so I have to measure each magnet, and use those numbers to compute an accurate average.

          For this description I'll use the figure of 0.125" magnet diameter. I know the cone radius will be about 0.75", but I need an accurate number based on a whole number of magnets so I won't end up with a gap between them. Time to break out the trigonometry. Wish I could insert a diagram here.

          Taking the cone radius of 0.75" as the Adjacent dimension, and half the magnet diameter as Opposite, I can use the equation Tangent = Opposite/Adjacent to figure out half the arc spanned by a single magnet. So, 0.0625/0.75 is 0.8333, and the arctan (or tan^-1) is 4.3. Twice that for the full arc is 9.527°.

          But that ain't gonna go clean into 360 degrees. It gives me 37.787 magnets which obviously isn't going to work. But now I have a number of magnets that puts me in the neighborhood of .75" radius on the cone. Just gotta round up the magnet count to 38, and recalculate for radius to get the precise dimension for my cones.

          360 / 38 = 9.474. That's the arc I need each magnet to span. To use trig for this I use half that arc so that I'm working with a right-angle triangle. So the calc is Tan 4.737° = .0625/Adjacent. The result is 0.754", and that's my cone radius.sa

          Cone diameter is 1.5". Cone to ring gap, 0.75". So ring diameter is about 3", but again I need to make sure the ring uses a whole number of magnets. Same process as before so no need to walk through it again. Result is, actual ring diameter is 1.431", which sets an arc of 5° per magnet, which means 72 magnets will complete the ring with no gaps.

          Again, these numbers are for show, to demonstrate how I'm making my choices. Actual construction figures will be very similar, but will depend on my measuring each and every magnet and accounting for the slight variations in their diameters.

          That's enough ramble for now, I reckon. Cone construction comes next. I'll post pics in the photo section when they're done.

          Cheers,
          Dev
        • joesmith@cvctx.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2012

            Dev in Pa,,,Sounds like you have a handle on it already,,,I can understand

            the need of  small models,,,have you given any thoughts to the WIS yet?

            The reason I ask is that I saw a device that might work,,then again it,,,

            might NOT work,,,watching it in action shure made me think of a WIS,,,

            You   may rest assured the entire Hamel community is behind you.

            Godspeed

            Wildcat Joe in Texas

          • Andrew J. Kenney
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 21, 2012
              Dev in PA,

              I know there hasn't been an update from you in awhile so, don't know if you are still pursuing this.  We all know how "life" can intrude on our hobby time at the most in-opportune times.  Lord knows "life" has been hard for me the past few months looking for new contracts and such.

              Anyway, I've been following this group for the past few years.  I haven't tried any of the projects myself but, have hopes that someday I can.  I came across something recently that may be able to help you and others.  There is a potentially disruptive new technology just starting to pick up steam in most developed countries.  It's called 3D Printing and may be able to help you, and others, in your manufacturing processes of the cones and such.  There are a number of 3D Printing service providers who can manufacture the parts you need based on CAD files of your designs.  I don't know the costs of these services but, I think it's worth checking on.  Apparently, they can manufacture items out of certain polymers, ceramics and metals with tolerances down in the 0.1mm range (.004").

              Also, if you're so inclined, there are 3D Printers available for SOHO use.  Some are from manufacturers and some come in a "kit" form and, depending on the type and what substance you want to print with, range from about US$500 - US$2500.  Rather than me retyping everything, the industry site to visit for info is:

              www.3dprinter.net

              You'll find links to service providers, various types/brands of printers, and lots of videos showing the technique and new products.  I urge all to check it out.  Good luck to all!

              Regards,

              Andy

              joesmith@... said the following on Thursday, 29 March, 2012 07:58 PM:

[...]

              Telecommunications & Broadcast Media
              Professional / Consultant
              Satellite / SNG-ENG / VSAT / WLAN / WiMax / VoIP
              Broadcast A/V / M2M Network / AMR / Remote SCADA
              Mobile: +63 915 747 6580
              Skype:  ajkenney
              Email:  ajkenney2000@...
              LinkedIn:  http://ph.linkedin.com/in/ajkenney