Re: [hameltech] Re: OT A shout out to visitors and lurkers.

  • Steven Dufresne
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
      Hi Dev,
      I'm still here too (the first link that Jeff gave below.) I'd still like to build a new one
      starting from scratch using the feedback I got from David from the times I brought
      my 45GDs to show him (which is all on my website to the best of my recollections.)
      However, the effort to restart, and the $400 or $500 cost for new magnets now
      that I know which ones David used have stopped me. So I've focused elsewhere
      over the years. But the itch to do it remains.

      Hi Jeff,
      I don't think David did it with expensive tools. But when I visited him I noticed that
      he took great care in each step. He didn't just slap things together but made jigs
      as needed. Patience I think is what's needed, something I lack at times when building.
      -Steve
      http://rimstar.org/sdprop http://youtube.com/rimstarorg

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
        Hiya gents, nice of you to reply, thanks very much. Even better to hear from two high-timers. I've been skimming topics starting from the beginning of this group and I know I've seen posts from both of you going back to good old 2000 AD.

        Jeff, thanks for pointing me in those directions. I'm actually very familiar with the older stuff - Puthoff, Naudin, etc, although it's been a while since I reviewed any of it. The newer stuff from members here is very interesting. I like your comment, " 'Million dollar lab version' on a shoestring " - that sounds about right.

        Steven, it sure is nice to click on your site link and have an actual website come up. The first couple thousand posts in this group are full to the brim with dead links. I've had to resort to the Wayback Machine most of the time.

        Checking your site, your 'Hamel Inverted Cones' project looks very similar to my own long-gone attempt. I decided back then that I was building too small - that my device could not work on that scale with the sloppy tolerances I achieved.

        You mentioned a hefty price for the right magnets - do you recall the specifications for them, by chance?

        Uh-oh... I'm thinking about buying magnets... the wallet cringes, the wife scowls.

        I'm also thinking about how I would approach this if I take it on. Full-on 45GD, or smaller scale. Bigger might be better, but I really like this project here in the file section:

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0ExmTzwm49qWN6yFxWbiIT7M7a3PNbgvnG_OXWMC1iyKmAGhZmmwYxmBG80RIs5-TKmlxO8k6g_ZCxnSdvHstUcRfnQN2Owl/gumboots2u/Dcp00552.jpg

        Construction is straightforward (relatively speaking). And best of all, it has been verified to develop a physically detectable vibration. The written account of that verification is here in the group's files: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4FpmTw6FJ8i0hQ5lLAAyBfPImpBQ-bUYv5OCtVM06_4JGBiecsJM-OhWlnXUFT7Z5aQraF5wQZGT89kumMCg2piMr_T8hXQB/gumboots2u/Visit%20to%20Tom%27s

        I'll admit I'd like to see a device implode, or explode, or levitate, glow, spark, or wobble. But a simple, sustained 'thrum' is really all it would take to make my day. To put it mildly. If that was my device, I'd have a pickup coil somewhere in those vibrating fields faster than you can say delta-H.

        I'm still looking around, but as examples of success go I think this is as good as it gets. What do you think?

        Cheers,
        Dev in PA
      • Steven Dufresne
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
          Hi Dev,
          You can find photos and details of the magnets that David used in his 45GD here:
          http://rimstar.org/sdprop/haml45gd/h45gdavd/h45gdavd.htm

          Yeah, my Hamel Inverted Cones project was my first time working with magnets and
          I made it before visiting David for the first time. It turned out a mess but I learned a lot.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
            Namaste!

            Dev:  David always said "build big."  He rather scoffed at the "mini 3cds" from what I gather.  While I don't know exactly why he said that, I believe the point to be it is easier to get things to work at larger sizes - balance is everything.  Not just balance of objects, but balance of fields, etc.  The materials used played key roles in the functioning of the device.

            Money/time always stopped me from doing this more seriously.  I only built a very small test model, purposely not made to function, as a "proof of concept" for myself.

            Be careful, it can be built wrong and cause havoc.

            Peace, Love, and Light!!!

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19, 2012
              Hi Jon, thanks very much for the excellent advice. I agree that large scale makes a lot of sense and I guess I'll be headed that in direction eventually.

              But first, I'm gonna go the other way. I've been looking further into that unit I linked to earlier, and it has me hooked. But since this is kind of a hi-how-are-ya thread I'll start a new one that will be the beginning of my build log.

              Cheers,
              Dev in PA