Update#1

  • karymusic
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 6:13 PM
      Well guys, don't ever neglect the importantance of safety.
      This dang foot injury is really bothersome but getting better.
      It can really slow a guy down, and the discomfort can easily distract
      my old brain.

      Update:
      Preliminary setup= 2 discs,4 magnets per disc.
      1st disc horizontal 4 magnets facing upward,all south pole.(center mounted)
      2nd disc horizontal 4 magnets facing downward,all south pole
      (center mounted)
      Disc #2 is stacked on top covering almost half of disk#1,aligned as such that each magnet passes each other on their edge.
      Yes, they must be doughnut shaped.
      A third disc (the secret disc)will be added later to complete the design.
      Consider it a test of your imagination.
      Note: I'm aware of magnets in repulsion losing their magnetism
      under load.The attraction motor will be a later project.
      The math in the discs size combined with the size of the doughnut magnets is proving to be a challenge.
      The intersect lines of where the magnets cross each other
      at roughly 40-42 degrees, in conjunction with the distance between the magnets as they force off each other is roughly at 3/8", is a time consuming process.
      Needless to say, the dimensions of the discs are based on the diameter of the doughnut magnets which are 2 1/4".
      The stresses between 2 sets of magnets at any one time has
      proven my carpentry skills to be substandard.(lol)
      Trying to build a mockup in my kitchen is not the smartest thing to do,and I desperately need to finish my workshop and get organized better first.
      So far preliminary tests suggest all is well but i expect a few modifications are important as to easily make adjustments on the fly.
      Without revealing too many secrets i have uploaded a basic design
      to my website at http://karysworld.com for you to understand the basics. It is not a complete schematic of the full design.It is the third disc that is not shown that will entice your imaginations.
      For now,just think in a third dimensional frame of mind, and enjoy the puzzle.
      Bob.