Re: [hameltech] status of New Mexico replication project

  • Lee Valstad
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
      My pleasure,

      Our progress is that we are ready to begin but we are waiting on a copy of the book to become available (I already have the other two, just waiting on Word Made Manifest).  The good thing is that we are going to be considerably dilligent in making sure that we build the device exactly right so that it works.  I repeat, no straying from the orginal design!

      We are going to be following the tree of life diagram exactly so yes, full sized replica (http://www.geocities.com/undergsci/45gdp.html).  There are about 10 people in our group and we are all undergrad students at New Mexico Tech.  We are waiting on approval of our budget which should be about $500 or more (fingers crossed).

      Pending budget approval we will be ordering 316 stainless steel from this link (http://www.aerospacemetals.com/stainless-steel.html).  Although I'm not sure if we should be using aluminum instead.  Does anybody know?  After the material is determined and ordered we will cut the cone pattern, roll around a concrete or wooden frame, rivet along the seem, and then dilligently balance each cone.

      We will be buying our magnets at radioshack (most likely lots of the ring shaped circular magnets).  And the oscillating table will be built exactly however David built his original.  The key is that we are going to try and do a precise recreation of David's original experiment that flew away into the sky.  We want to get a copy of the episode of mythbusters that featured the Hamel device so that we can see what they did right and what they did wrong.  Did anybody record this episode?

      Other than that, we're going to keep our fingers crossed.  Hopefully we can come back with good news for everyone!  Does our plan of action sound good so far?  Oh, and if anybody has an extra or used copy of the Word Made Manifest we would really like to buy or borrow it!  I can trade or loan a copy of Granite Starship.

      sincerely, Lee

      Kukulcangod <kukulcangod2003@...> wrote:
      Lee:
               Can you give us a little update about your progress? number of people involved? size of the replication and pictures?.

      It sounds very interesting that and organized group is being involved

      Thank you.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2007
        Hi Lee,

        Although many have used aluminum, stainless steel is the best/better
        choice for durability and heat resistance. It is tougher to work,
        obviously, but the end result is something truly beautiful.
        Rivetting is the quick method of achieving a cone. I suggest welding
        the seam to get a more streamlined and stronger cone. also, the
        welding will permit a better balance in the cone. Rivets, even not
        weighing that much can cause an imbalance, if you use enough of them.

        "The key is that we are going to try and do a precise recreation of
        David's original experiment that flew away into the sky"
        This is not the 3CD. This is the first stage replica or prototype for
        the craft. Suggestion is to do this after you make a breakthrough on
        the 3CD OR build it the same time as the 3CD.

        If you build the entire 3CD out of stainless, you will get a stronger
        machine all the way around. A better example if it indeed works in
        the end. More impressive.
        I remember paying $250 canadian or so for a 15 X 15 - 1inch thick
        piece of stainless. Paying $100 to get it waterjet cut into rings.
        Then I work it on a lathe. Got 4 posts (4 footers) for about $80 that
        are 1 inch diameter and also stainless.
        I shopped at a metal recycling facility for odds and ends, like thick
        walled piping and also square tubing (heavy quage)--all stainless.
        In fact, you can save a heap going to a local metal recycler and
        searching for the needed materials.

        Of course, many know that I have'nt 'done it' yet. So my words and
        experience might mean alot 'hot air'! :)
        The fabrication experience has been fun to some extent.

        Good luck and may you achieve results. Keep the goal broad and
        determined.

        Matt

        --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, Lee Valstad <master_charade@...>
        wrote:

        > My pleasure,
        >
        > Our progress is that we are ready to begin but we are waiting on
        a copy of the book to become available (I already have the other two,
        just waiting on Word Made Manifest). The good thing is that we are
        going to be considerably dilligent in making sure that we build the
        device exactly right so that it works. I repeat, no straying from
        the orginal design!

        > We are going to be following the tree of life diagram exactly so
        yes, full sized replica
        (http://www.geocities.com/undergsci/45gdp.html). There are about 10
        people in our group and we are all undergrad students at New Mexico
        Tech. We are waiting on approval of our budget which should be about
        $500 or more (fingers crossed).

        > Pending budget approval we will be ordering 316 stainless steel
        from this link (http://www.aerospacemetals.com/stainless-
        steel.html). Although I'm not sure if we should be using aluminum
        instead. Does anybody know? After the material is determined and
        ordered we will cut the cone pattern, roll around a concrete or
        wooden frame, rivet along the seem, and then dilligently balance each
        cone.

        > We will be buying our magnets at radioshack (most likely lots of
        the ring shaped circular magnets). And the oscillating table will be
        built exactly however David built his original. The key is that we
        are going to try and do a precise recreation of David's original
        experiment that flew away into the sky. We want to get a copy of the
        episode of mythbusters that featured the Hamel device so that we can
        see what they did right and what they did wrong. Did anybody record
        this episode?

        > Other than that, we're going to keep our fingers crossed.
        Hopefully we can come back with good news for everyone! Does our
        plan of action sound good so far? Oh, and if anybody has an extra or
        used copy of the Word Made Manifest we would really like to buy or
        borrow it! I can trade or loan a copy of Granite Starship.

        > sincerely, Lee
        >
        > Kukulcangod <kukulcangod2003@...> wrote:
        > Lee:
        > Can you give us a little update about your progress?
        number of people involved? size of the replication and pictures?.

        > It sounds very interesting that and organized group is being
        involved

        > Thank you.

      • Randolph
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2007
          When I first saw plans for hameltech 45GD years ago it kept saying to
          use "aluminum sheets" and "Aluminum rims."

          The only reasoning I could see behind this was (and still is) the fermi
          energy of this particular metal:

          "Fermi level" is the term used to describe the top of the collection of
          electron energy levels at absolute zero temperature...

          In metals, the Fermi energy gives us information about the velocities of
          the electrons which participate in ordinary electrical conduction. The
          amount of energy which can be given to an electron in such conduction
          processes is on the order of micro-electron volts (see copper wire
          example
          <http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html#c2>),
          so only those electrons very close to the Fermi energy can participate...

          http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/fermi.html#c1

          Fermi Energies may be compared here:

          http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/fermi.html#c1

          But this says nothing of Fermi energy in alloys which seems to be far
          more esoteric...
        • Lee Field
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 10, 2007
            Ok, I think I get confused by all the different names such as 3cd,
            weiht into speed, etc. I guess what we're building is a replica of
            the 45GD that imploded in David's garage. Is that the 3cd, and if so
            what's the difference between that and the thing that flew into the
            sky? I think the only difference is that the one that flew into the
            sky was housed inside of a flying saucer shaped thing designed to
            look like a water tower.

            Another thing I was just thinking of is that we're probably going to
            have to have rims on our cones in order to have a flat surface to
            mount the magnets to. Any suggestions on how we should make the
            rims? Is that what you were talking about with having the steel
            waterjet cut into rings? Perhaps we'll just find some bicycle rims
            like David used. Anybody know what size of bicycle rims he used?

            Thanks as always, Lee

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 10, 2007
              The water tower machine (or first stage) you mentioned was more
              advanced, taking into account of the 'wings', much like the actual
              flying craft. It had more going on within it. Same basic principles
              as always.
              The rings I mentioned are for the containment. They were waterjet
              cut, finished, and mounted into the frame. You can do cone surface
              bonding of the magnets or a 90 degree surface (perpendicular to the
              horizantal).

              Matt

              --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Field" <master_charade@...>