11113: Mr Hamel's books.

  • Ole_thor
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2007
      Mr Hamel has been selling a lot more books than I have
      and I have sent him all but 3 of the books I have.
      3 people have just requested shipping costs for the book.
      when I receive the payments, my last 3 books will go out.
      It will take me about 3-4 weeks to get more books in from
      Bob Thomas (the author). I won't actually order any more books
      until there is some definite interest to buy them.

      a short update - it has been cold here -30 degrees C
      for the last month or so. Mr Hamel is recovering from
      his eye surgery. He is working on the WIS gen device
      until it is warm enough for him to work outside again.
      Some of the other guys have been around to see him
      more recently than I have so they may have better info
      than I, on how he is feeling.

      Ole.
    • Lee Valstad
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
        Ole,

        My group in New Mexico is getting started on our Hamel device replication.  We are waiting approval of our budget from the SA.  We would like to order one of the books really badly and we put it in our budget.  So if one of the three people doesn't end up buying one then we would like to buy the last copy.  If you end up selling them all, please order more, or please put me in touch with Bob Thomas or somebody who can sell me a copy.

        Thanks in advance, Lee Walstad

        Ole_thor <ole_thor@...> wrote:
        Mr Hamel has been selling a lot more books than I have
        and I have sent him all but 3 of the books I have.
        3 people have just requested shipping costs for the book.
        when I receive the payments, my last 3 books will go out.
        It will take me about 3-4 weeks to get more books in from
        Bob Thomas (the author). I won't actually order any more books
        until there is some definite interest to buy them.

        a short update - it has been cold here -30 degrees C
        for the last month or so. Mr Hamel is recovering from
        his eye surgery. He is working on the WIS gen device
        until it is warm enough for him to work outside again.
        Some of the other guys have been around to see him
        more recently than I have so they may have better info
        than I, on how he is feeling.

      • Kukulcangod
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
          Lee:
                   Can you give us a little update about your progress? number of people involved? size of the replication and pictures?.

          It sounds very interesting that and organized group is being involved

          Thank you.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
            Lee,
            one gone so far, 2 left. waiting for 2 responses
            and you are number 2 on the backup list.
            I will get in touch with Bob and see if he can send me
            some more books and blueprints.

            Ole_thor <ole_thor@...> wrote:
            Mr Hamel has been selling a lot more books than I have
            and I have sent him all but 3 of the books I have.
            3 people have just requested shipping costs for the book.
            when I receive the payments, my last 3 books will go out.
            It will take me about 3-4 weeks to get more books in from
            Bob Thomas (the author). I won't actually order any more books
            until there is some definite interest to buy them.

            a short update - it has been cold here -30 degrees C
            for the last month or so. Mr Hamel is recovering from
            his eye surgery. He is working on the WIS gen device
            until it is warm enough for him to work outside again.
            Some of the other guys have been around to see him
            more recently than I have so they may have better info
            than I, on how he is feeling.

            Ole.

            ---------------------------------

            This e-mail was scanned for viruses using BitDefender
          • Lee Valstad
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
              My pleasure,

              Our progress is that we are ready to begin but we are waiting on a copy of the book to become available (I already have the other two, just waiting on Word Made Manifest).  The good thing is that we are going to be considerably dilligent in making sure that we build the device exactly right so that it works.  I repeat, no straying from the orginal design!

              We are going to be following the tree of life diagram exactly so yes, full sized replica (http://www.geocities.com/undergsci/45gdp.html).  There are about 10 people in our group and we are all undergrad students at New Mexico Tech.  We are waiting on approval of our budget which should be about $500 or more (fingers crossed).

              Pending budget approval we will be ordering 316 stainless steel from this link (http://www.aerospacemetals.com/stainless-steel.html).  Although I'm not sure if we should be using aluminum instead.  Does anybody know?  After the material is determined and ordered we will cut the cone pattern, roll around a concrete or wooden frame, rivet along the seem, and then dilligently balance each cone.

              We will be buying our magnets at radioshack (most likely lots of the ring shaped circular magnets).  And the oscillating table will be built exactly however David built his original.  The key is that we are going to try and do a precise recreation of David's original experiment that flew away into the sky.  We want to get a copy of the episode of mythbusters that featured the Hamel device so that we can see what they did right and what they did wrong.  Did anybody record this episode?

              Other than that, we're going to keep our fingers crossed.  Hopefully we can come back with good news for everyone!  Does our plan of action sound good so far?  Oh, and if anybody has an extra or used copy of the Word Made Manifest we would really like to buy or borrow it!  I can trade or loan a copy of Granite Starship.

              sincerely, Lee

              Kukulcangod <kukulcangod2003@...> wrote:
[...]

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2007
                Hi Lee,

                Although many have used aluminum, stainless steel is the best/better
                choice for durability and heat resistance. It is tougher to work,
                obviously, but the end result is something truly beautiful.
                Rivetting is the quick method of achieving a cone. I suggest welding
                the seam to get a more streamlined and stronger cone. also, the
                welding will permit a better balance in the cone. Rivets, even not
                weighing that much can cause an imbalance, if you use enough of them.

                "The key is that we are going to try and do a precise recreation of
                David's original experiment that flew away into the sky"
                This is not the 3CD. This is the first stage replica or prototype for
                the craft. Suggestion is to do this after you make a breakthrough on
                the 3CD OR build it the same time as the 3CD.

                If you build the entire 3CD out of stainless, you will get a stronger
                machine all the way around. A better example if it indeed works in
                the end. More impressive.
                I remember paying $250 canadian or so for a 15 X 15 - 1inch thick
                piece of stainless. Paying $100 to get it waterjet cut into rings.
                Then I work it on a lathe. Got 4 posts (4 footers) for about $80 that
                are 1 inch diameter and also stainless.
                I shopped at a metal recycling facility for odds and ends, like thick
                walled piping and also square tubing (heavy quage)--all stainless.
                In fact, you can save a heap going to a local metal recycler and
                searching for the needed materials.

                Of course, many know that I have'nt 'done it' yet. So my words and
                experience might mean alot 'hot air'! :)
                The fabrication experience has been fun to some extent.

                Good luck and may you achieve results. Keep the goal broad and
                determined.

                Matt

                --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, Lee Valstad <master_charade@...>
                wrote:

                > My pleasure,
                >
                > Our progress is that we are ready to begin but we are waiting on
                a copy of the book to become available (I already have the other two,
                just waiting on Word Made Manifest). The good thing is that we are
                going to be considerably dilligent in making sure that we build the
                device exactly right so that it works. I repeat, no straying from
                the orginal design!

                > We are going to be following the tree of life diagram exactly so
                yes, full sized replica
                (http://www.geocities.com/undergsci/45gdp.html). There are about 10
                people in our group and we are all undergrad students at New Mexico
                Tech. We are waiting on approval of our budget which should be about
                $500 or more (fingers crossed).

                > Pending budget approval we will be ordering 316 stainless steel
                from this link (http://www.aerospacemetals.com/stainless-
                steel.html). Although I'm not sure if we should be using aluminum
                instead. Does anybody know? After the material is determined and
                ordered we will cut the cone pattern, roll around a concrete or
                wooden frame, rivet along the seem, and then dilligently balance each
                cone.

                > We will be buying our magnets at radioshack (most likely lots of
                the ring shaped circular magnets). And the oscillating table will be
                built exactly however David built his original. The key is that we
                are going to try and do a precise recreation of David's original
                experiment that flew away into the sky. We want to get a copy of the
                episode of mythbusters that featured the Hamel device so that we can
                see what they did right and what they did wrong. Did anybody record
                this episode?

                > Other than that, we're going to keep our fingers crossed.
                Hopefully we can come back with good news for everyone! Does our
                plan of action sound good so far? Oh, and if anybody has an extra or
                used copy of the Word Made Manifest we would really like to buy or
                borrow it! I can trade or loan a copy of Granite Starship.

                > sincerely, Lee
                >
                > Kukulcangod <kukulcangod2003@...> wrote:
                > Lee:
                > Can you give us a little update about your progress?
                number of people involved? size of the replication and pictures?.

                > It sounds very interesting that and organized group is being
                involved

                > Thank you.

              • Randolph
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 9, 2007
                  When I first saw plans for hameltech 45GD years ago it kept saying to
                  use "aluminum sheets" and "Aluminum rims."

                  The only reasoning I could see behind this was (and still is) the fermi
                  energy of this particular metal:

                  "Fermi level" is the term used to describe the top of the collection of
                  electron energy levels at absolute zero temperature...

                  In metals, the Fermi energy gives us information about the velocities of
                  the electrons which participate in ordinary electrical conduction. The
                  amount of energy which can be given to an electron in such conduction
                  processes is on the order of micro-electron volts (see copper wire
                  example
                  <http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html#c2>),
                  so only those electrons very close to the Fermi energy can participate...

                  http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/fermi.html#c1

                  Fermi Energies may be compared here:

                  http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/fermi.html#c1

                  But this says nothing of Fermi energy in alloys which seems to be far
                  more esoteric...
                • Lee Field
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 10, 2007
                    Ok, I think I get confused by all the different names such as 3cd,
                    weiht into speed, etc. I guess what we're building is a replica of
                    the 45GD that imploded in David's garage. Is that the 3cd, and if so
                    what's the difference between that and the thing that flew into the
                    sky? I think the only difference is that the one that flew into the
                    sky was housed inside of a flying saucer shaped thing designed to
                    look like a water tower.

                    Another thing I was just thinking of is that we're probably going to
                    have to have rims on our cones in order to have a flat surface to
                    mount the magnets to. Any suggestions on how we should make the
                    rims? Is that what you were talking about with having the steel
                    waterjet cut into rings? Perhaps we'll just find some bicycle rims
                    like David used. Anybody know what size of bicycle rims he used?

                    Thanks as always, Lee

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 10, 2007
                      The water tower machine (or first stage) you mentioned was more
                      advanced, taking into account of the 'wings', much like the actual
                      flying craft. It had more going on within it. Same basic principles
                      as always.
                      The rings I mentioned are for the containment. They were waterjet
                      cut, finished, and mounted into the frame. You can do cone surface
                      bonding of the magnets or a 90 degree surface (perpendicular to the
                      horizantal).

                      Matt

                      --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Field" <master_charade@...>