Another Source for Red Granite Spheres?

  • Time02112
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11 2:51 AM
      Anyone interested in acquiring the red granite spheres Mr. Hamel needs
      for his projects could perhapsget them here...
      http://madagascarminerals.com/cat_spheres.cfm?XID=7&TID=7

      (You will need to contact them an make an inquiry for estimates based
      upon sizes & quantity.)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12 8:24 AM

        Try this group. Maybe they have some information on source locations.
        Even machines, which are not hard to use. David could consider on
        getting one of these or having someone build him one. I would, but I am
        so engrossed in my own work, but perhaps I could help.

        The machines are not hard to envision. 3 motors or 2, going into a
        central position. Diamond cups with a 25 degree angle bevel or regular
        steel cups with grit on them and using grit continuously.
        Slow rotation with a gear reduction box, so that spheres turn slowly
        while being ground down.

        You'd also need a diamond bench saw, much like a tile saw, from Home
        Depot or equivalent. Then you can take, pieces of granite, from pretty
        much anywhere (I got mine from a place called Granite Concepts in
        Concord, Ontario) and then cut them up into cubes, then facet them, and
        then rough them into ball shapes on a grinder, and then place them into
        the machine.

        To get accurate balls, you need to have them move erratic, not stopping
        in movement on one arm of the machine. The balls must move chaotically
        and never be resting in one position. Slow turning as well, to remove
        the material from the rough sphere slowly. This I have noticed, that if
        one motor holds a certain position of the ball, then ball goes oval.
        Remove the oval on a grinder and then use oversized grinding cups and
        keep the ball in erratic movement until round, and then go back to our
        finishing cups and polish the ball or remove mroe material to a required
        size allocation.