Re: 11112: all the work part 4 :)

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006
      things are starting to get easier.

      I may have found a way to eliminate the warp, and this is requiring
      no water :)

      I have been tack welding the cones all around the circumference edge
      for all cones. But I have been putting hundreds of tack welds into
      the cones. What an improvement! The middle cone is holding in
      geometry and no warp. The small cone seems to be doing the same. I
      got a little carried away on the big one, and it is showing some
      warp. Not to worry for me, as I have got my 5 sets of cone
      duplicates. Yup that's about 15 cones (5 duplicates of each) at my
      disposal.

      Going to visit a professional welder tomorrow and get some of my
      cones pre-rolled to see if things can be easier in the preparation
      before welding.

      Looking good. I can disband the water unit, I don't think it is
      needed now :)

      Yay!
      Matt

      --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, "demondoppel" <mattihorn@...> wrote:

      > I'm at the stage now, where I have the two largest cones pre-
      welded,
      > with spot welds around the circumferences.
      >
      > I am getting a whole stack of laser cut cones made, since the
      current
      > ones are working out perfectly. I surmise that the error in the
      > dimensions is negligible now. Too small to really notice.
      >
      > I can save myself on tips now, since I will be putting them in
      after the
      > welding process in water. That's good. So in effect I only need to
      have
      > 3 good tips.
      >
      > I am getting a tungsten electrode grinder and some ceriated
      tungstens
      > (better for thin sheet metal). I am finding the that lower current
      > welding is hectic since I am aware that the tungsten is being
      > contaminated from the bench grinder. Unstable arc. At higher
      amperage it
      > is less noticed, and that's what I have been doing mostly, welding
      at a
      > higher amperage. But I need to go lower.
      >
      > So, I have 2 cones ready to be welded in the circumference.
      (although
      > it's too bad these tack welds wouldn't suffice, because the
      curvature is
      > great and the dimensions are holding). The smallest cone has an
      > imbalance, because I incorrectly welded the center piece (pivot).
      The

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
        bad luck on the cone rolling. They could only roll things which have
        4 inches on the open end.

        Trying another place tomorrow in Scarborough.
        They seem to have the right equipment for the job.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
          placed 3 cones into frame today, the latest batch, to see how things
          are working out. 1/16th gap is present for all cones. Good response
          on bottom and middle, as well as top.