My old 45gd device

  • David K
    Message 1 of 65 , Sep 30, 2005
      Message

      Hi,
              Last night I uncovered my old 45 gallon drum device and set it up again.  The top cone hasn't been stored very well and the ring of magnets is a bit loose.  Everything else is just as I left it 3 years ago (with a lot more dust on it).  It took about 5 minutes to re-mount the cones and see the vibrations.

      this is the bottom two cones balance

      This is the whole thing set up and vibrating, I almost chopped up that top frame for firewood in my forge last year.  I'm glad I didn't!

      I left this going but the top cone fell apart after 20 minutes.  I then re-mounted the top cones magnet ring and it seems to be holding up ok.  I have some vibration that has been going for an hour now.  The best thing is to just lightly touch the top cone, the vibration goes all the way down then returns with a larger amplitude.  I noticed that sometimes the lightesr touch can be amplified to a point where the cones can fall out of their mounts.

      When I started it it slows down, but if I adjust the top magnet distance, the cones jump to life and take longer to slow down, I geuss I just need to fine tune it.

      I'll see how long this keeps going.  Last time I left it for a month or two (no explosions!)

      Anyway I thought I would mention this as I haven't been an avtive member for a couple of years now.

      All the best

      David K

    • alfred256
      Message 65 of 65 , Oct 21, 2005