11112: magnets off and some work on osc table

  • Matt Rock
    Message 1 of 15 , May 16, 2005
      Not much going on at the moment.

      I have the poles for the frame shortened.
      The magnets are all off the rims and cones. Going to reattach them
      soon enough.
      I was having some over repulsion occurring at the center cone.
      Couldn't compensate at all. So I had to take all magnets off. Enlarge
      the radius of the rim.

      Weight into speed has been put on indefinite hold, or actually, I
      have determined I will not require WIS afterall. Another step in the
      unfolding it seems.

      OSc table has been determined. it will be about 4.234 inches in
      diameter (1.0608 X 4) with placement of cups at 3 inch diameter. The
      center pivot insert has been machines and welded into palce. I have
      made two table tops, one of which is about 0.6 pound and the other is
      about 1 pound.
      Waiting on granite. Have made some changes to the granite cups. And I
      have talked to other granite workers in the U.S. because I am getting
      impatient with Rouleau.

      Cones weigh in at about 1, 2.2 approx and about 4.25 approx.
      This is okay, since the step ratio value for the cones is 2.618 up
      from the previous cone.

      So far so good.

      Oh yes, We went to David's on Saturday.

      He's doing alright. A little lonesome. But nonetheless doing good.
      We had some dinner with Him and two other guests/friends of David's.
      Saw the Book. It's good and worth the read.
      The drawings might need a slight altering from what David has said to
      Me.

      Lots of black flies up in them Northern parts ;)

      Matt
    • Dell Coleman

        Message 3 of 15 , May 17, 2005
          The combination of several elements in the design have suggested to
          me that the WIS is overkill and not required.

          For one thing, many here at the group have attempted the 3CD/Barrel
          and elsewise using the same cone sizes for the isotope line. It would
          actually be a little more difficult to achieve the vibration with 3
          cones of the same size than with cones of differing size. Because you
          are introducing further complexity to drive the system, where as the
          system could be intentionally developed to take care of some of these
          intinsic things.

          The second thing is the magnetic, applied to each cone of differing
          size comes into play as well. The magnetic will be different for each
          cone.
          The third thing being the rim which contains each cone, would be
          adjusted for each cone that I have.

          I also strongly feel, the top rejection comes into play to be used
          with a self similar system or cones or 'wings' which are the same
          size.

          With what I am attempting to do, I already have a structural
          imbalance in the cone sizes themselves, then the addition of the
          magnets which are also differing from each other at each point, and
          also the gap between cone and containment ring also comes into play.

          That equals '3' subactions/characteristics of the working device.
          Basically, I have the 3 cones which are needed for the reaction, but
          I also have the 3 physical characteristics needed to create imbalance
          and hence vibration.

          make sense?

          Matt
          --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, Dell Coleman <decoleman@p...> wrote:
          > Matt
          >
          > What led you to that conclusion?
          >
          > DC
          >

          > Matt Rock wrote:
          >
          > > ...snip
          > >

          > > Weight into speed has been put on indefinite hold, or actually, I
          > > have determined I will not require WIS afterall. Another step in
          the
          > > unfolding it seems.
          > >
          > > Matt
          > >

          > > Header Codes
          > > 11111: Theory, untested Hamel ideas
          > > 11112: Building and balancing, progress
          > > 11113: David Hamel reports
          > > 11114: Non-hamel mysteries and energies
          > > OT: "Off Topic"
          > >
          > > Post message: hameltech@yahoogroups.com
          > > Subscribe: hameltech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • Matt Rock
          Message 4 of 15 , May 17, 2005
            So far, those who work with granite, such as monument makers have
            turned up nil to do a small piece of work for me. Everybody thinks
            $$$ in this world, when it should be 'interest' and 'curiousity' to
            be challenged to do new things.
            Grave stones on the other hand, well, then they would give me the red
            carpet ;) "bring out yer dead, bring out yer dead" (monty python).

            Have to do more searching. See what I can find. I might have to
            settle on that $3000 unit in the states which can make 1 inch balls
            out of granite.

            current status = ....until the clouds disappear and someone saves the
            day

            Matt

          • gumboots2u
            Message 5 of 15 , May 18, 2005
              Matt

              I used Al. oxide balls . You can get them in almost any size
              and the min. charge was less than $200.oo from most of the suppliers.

              Borosilicate might be another choice {glass} they are also av. from
              same suppliers. Hoover or CCR or others. I would stay away from
              carbide , but Silicon Nitride would also be a choice. All of these
              have high dielectric resistance. The glass being the poorest and
              Al. oxide the highest.

              Mac

            • Jon C. Munson II
              Message 6 of 15 , May 18, 2005
                what about buying them at a 'science' store?  (like Discovery Channel Store)

                jon
> [...]

                > each
                > > cone.
                > > The third thing being the rim which contains each cone, would be
                > > adjusted for each cone that I have.
                > >
                > > I also strongly feel, the top rejection comes into play to be used
                > > with a self similar system or cones or 'wings' which are the same
                > > size.
                > >
                > > With what I am attempting to do, I already have a structural
                > > imbalance in the cone sizes themselves, then the addition of the
                > > magnets which are also differing from each other at each point, and
                > > also the gap between cone and containment ring also comes into play.
                > >
                > > That equals '3' subactions/characteristics of the working device.
                > > Basically, I have the 3 cones which are needed for the reaction,
                > but
                > > I also have the 3 physical characteristics needed to create

              • Matt Rock
                Message 7 of 15 , May 18, 2005
                  Thanks Mac,

                  I'll keep it in mind and look around. Does the Al Oxide balls have a
                  rated hardness that you are aware of?
                  I was talking to a lapidary specialist, she told me that granite is
                  about 4 out of 10 and things like jasper are about 5 or 6 (harder
                  than granite). So I picked up 3 jasper balls. However, she said they
                  were 1 inch in diam, they turned out to be 1.175 inches diam, not too
                  accurate for what I need (didn't have the caliper handy at the time).
                  I have been scoping out lapidary professionals here in Ontario and
                  abroad.
                  There is sphere maker in California and Arizona:
                  www.gemworld.com or http://www.arizonarockshops.com/spheres.htm
                  that might have what I am looking for.
                  Gem world sells sphere making machines at about $400 or so, which is
                  pretty darn good. Last resort of course. But they do custom work.

                  Matt

                • Josh Olson
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 18, 2005
                    Matt,
                    I've been doing experiments with hemitite (fe2)
                    non-magentized sphere come in 20mm Dia,, or 2 inch
                    dia,

                    http://www.dayooper.com/..... these guys can get them
                    ( or make them) There in the U.P. of michigan

                    The pillar of Iron the never rusts in New Delhi
                    India..I believe is made of hemitite.. fe2 ..the same
                    kind of iron thats in our blood.

                    Sorry if this is kind of jumbled together.. I'm a
                    busy man.. Just thought you could use the info.

                    PEACE.....
                    -Josh

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • gumboots2u
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 19, 2005
                      Rated hardness is probably about 85-95 Rockwell C Diamond is
                      considered 100. Mild steel is about 15- 25 R C and hardened steel
                      balls are about 60 R C.

                      Al. Oxide is a common abrasive found in grinding wheels and sand
                      paper.

                    • Timothy
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 19, 2005
                        I have family who was into rocks and being "rock
                        hounds" I know a bit about lapidary work...
                        the only way to really get the size you want is
                        to do it yourself...
                        Here is how you make a sphere... real lapidary
                        practices...
                        you take your chunk of rock and you smash it with
                        a sledge... small bites... then you look for the
                        rounder shaped ones and you cut off a few corners
                        till you have a roundish chunk... and you put
                        that into the sphere maker with the grit and
                        water dripping and walk away for a wile... the
                        machine does it all and you only come back to it
                        and check it on occasion... when all the flats
                        are gone it is then polished up for a smooth
                        finish... size has nothing to do with it other
                        then what size you started with... trying to find
                        three balls the same size will drive you crazy...

                        best bet... invest in the machine and start
                        making your own if you want any kind of
                        precision... most rock hounds are very
                        indiscriminate in such things as size...
                        after all they are just trying to make them
                        prettier then found and nothing more....
                        Timothy...

                        __________________________________
                        Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                      • Matt Rock
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 19, 2005
                          Thanks Timothy,

                          so you're saying that every ball that comes out of these machines,
                          even though you use the same cups cutter size, the balls will not be
                          self similar in size to some degree of accuracy? (not getting
                          accuracy between, 3 balls for example).

                          Sounds interesting in creating my own, and I have found this mini
                          sphere maker:http://207.198.82.208/SphereMachines.asp
                          top one.

                          Last resort, if all attempts to getting this done by a private stone
                          worker fails.

                          Thanks for other insights

                          Matt

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 19, 2005
                            Very good Mac,

                            these are proving to be harder than granite. Accuracy looks
                            favourable as well. Placed orders at both Hoover and CCR.
                            Wait and see.

                            thanks for the info!

                            Later

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 19, 2005
                              the same "cup cutters" will cut a sphere of
                              varing size... read the literature on these...
                              the ones I have seen do eggs as well as
                              spheres... and have three sizes of cups... the
                              cups don't do the cutting the grit you add to
                              them does the cutting and polishing... these
                              three sizes will do spheres from 1/2 inch up to
                              balling ball size...
                              but the size is determined by three factors...
                              one being the size of the original rock... the
                              grit used and the time ... all of which very...
                              the rocks are simply rolled in the cups till all
                              the points and flats are gone...
                              a rock hound with a good machine and a few tons
                              of rock will turn out a few of these spheres a
                              day...
                              unless they are checked out for accuracy all
                              along the way they can and do very greatly...

                              so yes... nothing near the precision I have seen
                              on this list...

                              Timothy...

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                            • Matt Rock
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 19, 2005
                                Timothy, thanks for the education.
                                I had a feeling that it would be like latheing, checking the piece
                                every so often with a caliper to get the desired diameter. Touch and
                                go and like latheing could take a great deal of time ot master. I'll
                                have to consider this option if all else fails (which I hope doesn't).

                                I have also got some ED. from Gemstone.com about one of their
                                machines.
                                Good knowledge to have, because it will probably be needed very much
                                over the next few years.
                                Have you utilized these skills for any of the 3CD constructions?

                                Once again thanks

                                Matt

                                p.s.: Star Wars fans, beware. Good movie, but dark as heck. I had to
                                break from my work and instill the 'force' into me today (or at least
                                remember the good ole days in 1970's when the first movie came out),
                                as I was a good fan of the franchise in the past, not so much now,
                                since this group and the knowledge behind it is vastly superior :)
                                That movies was about war....war....war....much like how things are
                                on our world now. Last thing we need, is to incite more of this unto
                                ourselves. Those behind David H. are not warring types. Many here
                                probably know. They have obolished this sort of behaviour, or never
                                had any run-ins to begin with I am sure.
                                If you are a fan, try not to pay too much attention to the atmosphere
                                of war in this movie, if you see it at a theater. Or don't see it
                                all, and remember that space is open for those peaceful enough to
                                enjoy it.

                                All the Best

                                EELRIJUE

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 19, 2005
                                  Hi Matt...
                                  I'm only glad I can contribute a bit here and
                                  there...
                                  I'm fully disabled and on a fixed income :(
                                  so my involvement has just been this list...

                                  I would liken the rock sphere making more to
                                  tumbling... you toss in a rock and wait till it
                                  is done before you even see if it is viable or
                                  not... and what you get is what you get... out of
                                  every 30 or so you will get a real nice sample...
                                  but it is quite a gooey mess until it is
                                  completely done...
                                  there are other ways to create very large Perfect
                                  spheres that take even less work... but far more
                                  time...
                                  Timothy...

                                  Yahoo! Mail