11112: question to group for some input

  • Matt Rock
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2005
      Hi guys,

      seeing how some of you know I am working away like busy bee, I want
      to refresh my memory on a few things.
      Mainly just one.

      This would be a question for those who have built and nearly got some
      spark and more.

      Does anyone recall the repulsion felt at between the cone and the rim?

      Is it strong enough that your one finger (index) would have trouble
      pushing the cone into the rim? or is it less?

      Reason I'm asking, is that these heavier cones that I have are
      demanding much more repulsion than I thought of before. I am
      considering on doubling or tripling magnets.

      My weight into speed device is going to placed inside the top cone.
      Does anyone feel that the top cone will have to extra strong in
      repulsion or should I just float the cone first and then apply the
      WIS?

      As I am no expert at this technology, I ask away. I can get by
      geometry, but this physics is no small task ;)

      Just talked to David. He's doing fine. Told me he is having some
      trouble walking, so he's going to buy one of those scooters :)

      He's going to be 81 in two saturdays, just to let you all know.

      Matt
    • gumboots2u
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2005
        Hi Matt.

        On mine its just sits ... the magnets will not lift it out.

        When I saw Tom's .. his was a lot stiffer, crashes were a common
        problem. That's how close to the edge he was running. When his was
        set up and then started it was so tight it felt like it would pop
        at the slightest touch. Everything felt like a compressed spring.

        Truly Mac.

        PS

        I think Tom actually had the rings slightly above the cone
        which gave it some compression.