Re: 11112: Status for this month of April

  • apachemyeye3
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 7:08 AM
      --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Rock" <mattihorn@i...> wrote:
      > Hi all:
      >
      > Just Me again with some progress to give forward.
      >
      > Okay:
      >
      > 2 out of three cones, now have magnets attached using this very
      good
      > cement (stainless steel embedded adhesive good up to 2000F).
      > That would be the top and middle cone. They will be cured by oven
      today.
      > The bottom being done today as well for the magnet attaching.
      >

      > Over the last few days I have successfully welded the rims which go
      > around each cone. It was a little precarious at first, but I
      managed to
      > get it where I need it without loosing the diameter on the cones.
      > Grinded the welding seams flat, and them overall grinded the
      surface
      > where the magnets are placed. Looks quite good.
      >
      > I have determined my osc table, finally, after a great deal of
      thought
      > and instinct.
      > I have purchased 1/8th stainless steel.
      > 12 X 12 inch.
      > I am going to cut a circle of this material at 6.2 inches diameter.
      > Then a center hole of 2 inches will be removed.
      > I will scribing another circle inside the piece at 4.2 inches
      diameter
      > and then finding three positions along this circle for the granite
      cup
      > placement.
      > The hole in the center (2 inch) will be used to interface with an
      > insert I made a week prior, that will take the bottom cone top and
      > place it where I need it. This will be welded in after a few
      > adjustments.
      > I hope to get this small table top light as I can. With everything
      > done, I am sensing that it will be close to or slight above 2
      pounds,
      > equating to my middle cone weight. Where I need ti to be. Too heavy
      and
      > the reaction will cease.
      >
      > Anything else?
      > Double checking my spheres, I have mathematically concluded that
      they
      > are indeed exactly the right spheres needed in the project.
      > This confirmation came through using the 4/3XPIXr^3 equation
      against a
      > 1 inch ball and 1.236 inch dia cup. as well as the top WIS
      (although
      > this has been extremely difficult to determine for those two balls).
      >
      > that's it for now
      >
      > Matt hello Matt, i am building a 55gd myself and
      would like to know where to adquire some of that adhesive for
      stainless steel; and does it hold well on other metals.thank you,bob
      miller
    • Matt Rock
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 5:43 PM
        hello Matt, i am building a 55gd myself and
        > would like to know where to adquire some of that adhesive for
        > stainless steel; and does it hold well on other metals.thank you,bob
        > miller

        ---------------------------
        Hi Bob,

        thanks for writing and it's nice to hear someone is doing the work in
        the tech as well.

        Okay the stuff I got is called Durabond 954-1 and is sold at Cotronics
        (New York). about $65 U.S. per pint. $110 per quart.
        ---------
        TM Durabond 7032 2000ºF Stainless Putty (which is practically the same
        as the 954)
        Now, a 2000ºF Stainless Steel putty that will repair and seal high
        temperature
        equipment with the ease of Cotronics' high performance systems.
        A smooth creamy paste, just trowel on and cure at room temperature.
        Will not run, drip, or sag.
        Safe to use. No flammable solvents. No harsh odors.
        Hardening starts in just 60 minutes. (also high temp curing to
        increase temp resistance for service)
        Durabond 7032 is machinable and resistant to most chemicals and
        solvents.
        Durabond 7032 is ideal for high temperature repairs, rebuilding,
        filling holes,
        plugging leaks in automotive, maintenance and industrial applications.
        This composite of Cotronics' unique ceramics and 316 Stainless Steel
        powder. Cures
        to provide excellent adhesion and heat resistance.
        7025 Repairs a Wear Plate
        ---------------
        I don't know for sure how it will handle with other metals. I am
        thinking that steel (general) would be okay, but aluminum, copper and
        others I am not sure about. Perhaps Cotronics could answer that
        question for you. They have a contact on the website and they also
        deliver out catalogues. I got one.

        http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/ca_metallic.htm
        http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/pdf/952.4.pdf
        Also look up Resbond 907GF. This actually looks good too. It may
        handle the other metals quite well.

        www.cotronics.com

        Hope that helps and good luck

        Matt

        P.S.: the stuff I got becomes somewhat brittle during temp curing
        (100C to 200C). So, expect to lay it one thick for your application or
        embed the magnets in this stuff. My rings are done like this and the
        magnets do not budge at all. They did before, as I didn't completely
        embed them.