11112: and some more

  • Matt Rock
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23 10:56 AM
      Progress report, whoaaa yeah formalize this.

      I have been latheing my rings to smooth edges and so that when I
      attach the magnets they will line correctly, less deviation.

      Made a new top piece for my osc table. This one is made out of
      aluminum, 1/2 inch thickness and same dimensions as my mahogany top
      (10inch sides equilateral). It is quite heavy as I predicted. Close
      to 3 pounds, and it barely moves upon forcing it with the same
      pressure as with the mahogany. this might pose a problem. Yet I will
      keep it on hand if indeed the setup requires it.

      I am making some apparatus to secure the osc table bottom to the
      bottom of the isotope line. Basically some aluminum that is fastened
      to the osc table and connecting rods (1/2") that are being threaded
      into another hoop place on the bottom.

      Rings will have their magnets placed onto them hopefully this weekend
      and I will get underway in preparing the cone skins etc.

      Question to anyone here: The idea of using the magnetic wire, 28
      gauge or approximate, well I need to know what is the turn direction
      for the North and south facing magnets. WOuld the North pole facing
      rings have a right hand turn going clockwise or the opposite? I can
      assume the opposite sense for South.

      I realize that all the rings are to be tied together with this wire.
      An open end will remain on the top ring, but the bottom extension of
      wire is to be coupled to the electrical connection where the the
      bottom cone tip meets the pivot, right?

      That's all for now, have a great weekend.