9857Re: 11112: Balancing Cone

  • tvboycott
    Dec 2, 2003
      Thanks Jon,

      I tinkered with smaller rings last night and think I found the right
      size. It is a little strong but if I add weight to the cone it
      should be alright.

      I think I have the setup close now. I am going to put together three
      cones this week. And the other two rings this weekend.

      Thanks again.

      Mike

      --- In hameltech@yahoogroups.com, "Jon C. Munson II" <jmunson@h...>
      wrote:
      > your cone should not 'rest' on the oscillator, but instead 'touch'
      the
      > oscillator. the magnetic rings should 'float' the cone. this is
      probably
      > the cause of your imbalance. one other possibility is the strength
      of your
      > magnets - they may be off enough to cause the 'tip.' lastly, check
      the
      > 'alignment' - ensure that all of your magnets on each ring are on
      the same
      > plane.
      >
      > one more word about floating the cone. the cone needs to be
      supported (not
      > contained) by the magnetism of the ring. you may have to add
      weight to the
      > cone (or use weaker magnets) to lower it further into the field.
      you want
      > it placed just before the 'snap' or 'neutral point' in the field.
      i am not
      > sure how to explain this better - maybe chris or ole or justin can
      provide a
      > better written description. the magnetic viewing film can assist
      with this
      > if you cannot feel the field properly.
      >
      > if you are building a mini, i believe chris wrapped some copper
      wire around
      > the magnets to help unify the field. you may wish to check that.
      >
      > hth,
      > jon

      Service.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic