3rd Annual Tech Class

  • Joe Hullender
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
      At the Gaston County (NC) ARES, we are in the midst of our 3rd annual
      Tech class. Our classes last for 8 weeks, meeting one night a week
      (Tuesday) for 2 hours. During the first class, we do a general
      introduction to Ham Radio. Over the next 5 weeks, we cover two
      chapters in "Now You're Talking" each week, using PowerPoint, live
      demonstrations, extra handouts and any other material we find
      useful. On the 7th week, we do a review and an in-class practice
      test. On the 8th week, we have the test session. We try to teach
      the material, not just the test; however, I have created 1 - 2
      page "Cliff's Notes" for each chapter that help in studying for the
      test. We also pass out a CD to each of the students that includes
      part97, copies of the class notes, and copies of various ham software
      (freeware and shareware). In the last 2 years, our success rate has
      been greater than 90%. This year, we have 15 students, ranging in
      age from 10 to 83, with five of our students under the age of 18.
      I'll update the group to let you know how we did this year.

      73
      N4JAH
    • k2gw@arrl.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        Sounds great.

        Perhaps you could upload the "cliff notes" documents to the files section of this Yahoo Group.

        Thanks & 73

        Gary, K2GW

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
          Joe,

          That does sound great! I would be interested in the "cliff notes" as
          well. In addition, could you make the PowerPoint slides you're using
          available for download? Either on your web site or I could host the
          download at http://instructor.n5na.net

          Also, I am very interested in hearing how the younger students in your
          class come out. As I posted in the past, I have not had much success
          with the younger students in the classes I've been involved in.

          73,

          Alan N5NA

        • jhullender@carolina.rr.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
            Alan,

            I've uploaded the "cliff notes" we use. The PowerPoint is basically the
            one from your site, modified to better fit our study plan. (Thanks!)
            If you want to post the notes on your site, be my guest.

            Joe
            N4JAH

            k2gw@... wrote:

            >Sounds great.
            >
            >Perhaps you could upload the "cliff notes" documents to the files section
            of this Yahoo Group.

            >Thanks & 73
            >
            >Gary, K2GW

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • A. Sewell
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
              Thanks Joe! I'm glad you found the PowerPoint useful for your class!

              I will add the "cliff notes" to my site. I took a quick look at them
              and they look great! That's an excellent idea!

              73,

              Alan N5NA

              jhullender@... wrote:

              >Alan,
              >
              >I've uploaded the "cliff notes" we use. The PowerPoint is basically the
              >one from your site, modified to better fit our study plan. (Thanks!)
              >If you want to post the notes on your site, be my guest.
              >
              >Joe
              >N4JAH

            • Earl Paazig
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
                Excellent! Thanks a bunch.

                Earl
                N8KBR

                k2gw@... wrote:

                >Sounds great.
                >
                >Perhaps you could upload the "cliff notes" documents to the files section
                of this Yahoo Group.

                >Thanks & 73
                >
                >Gary, K2GW

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm