Re: [ham_instructor] Group has been awfully Quiet

  • Norm Huber
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009
      J.R. Reider wrote:

      > I believe it gives them a more complete look at what ham radio is...and
      > isn't. And it increases the number of those that actually get involved
      > in the hobby on a longer term basis, rather than the one-day wonders who
      > sit through a cram course, pass the test and promptly disappear.

      I believe it depends on the expectations of the participants. I am
      involved with a group of motorcyclists who took the tech one day course
      to be able to participate in charity events as support and
      communication. Many admitted that they only use the radio when
      supporting the charity rides and have no other interest.
      Possibly a similar thing happens with people who get a license for
      skywarn or other emergency group participation.
      Brings up the discussion at our last club meeting of the need for more
      real "Elmering" as a follow up to passing the test.

      - Norm - N9ZKS - Central Illinois - E-:-)
      - Motorcyclist, Bicyclist, Ham, Scouter
      - '05 Goldwing - Yellow - Rex - 77,000 miles
      - '87 Goldwing Interstate - Lagniappe Too - 66,000 miles
      - LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER!
      - IBA 25533, MARC, WOTI, GWRRA, AMA, ARRL
      - http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=n9zks-9,n9zks-10&radar=***