Re: Windows Vista

  • km5h
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
      I have been very satisfied with HRD on Vista. I am using a Toshiba
      laptop. I would suggest that you check the video hardware website
      often for updates. Mine has had a driver update about once a month.

      Tom KM5H

      --- In ham-radio-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "rkbower" <ac2c@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone report on their experience using HRD under Windows Vista ?
      >
      > Ron, AC2C

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
        When I had Vista on my new computer, it seemed to work OK. I may
        eventually put Vista back on the machine, (maybe as a virtual OS?) if
        they fix the crashing of the video that I have had with interaction of
        the file manager and the DX Lab suite.

        I put Mepis Linux on this machine, but even though it is the only
        distribution of Linux that works in native mode with my widescreen
        monitor and the integrated Nvidia graphics, it still is just not at the
        quality level of MS OS. To get by for now, I put XP back on my older
        machine and run my ham programs from there using a KVM switch.

        73,

        Rick, KV9U

        rkbower wrote:
        > Can anyone report on their experience using HRD under Windows Vista ?
        >
        > Ron, AC2C

      • Nige
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 21, 2007
          Although I have been using HRD on Vista 64 without issue of program
          functionality, there has been one most critical problem I have faced
          and not as yet resolved.

          The N8VB virtual serial port does not work on Vista at the time of
          writing and if like me you also use other programs (I use MixW for
          data modes not yet offered my HRD/DM780) and I used the virtual serial
          port driver to allow me to have both programs hooked up the the CAT
          simultaneously so I could change QRG from both, log in both, use HRD
          macros to change filter characteristics for other digital modes by the
          use of snapshots etc and it all worked very smoothly.

          Now in Vista, I have not found any virtual serial port drivers that
          actually work and thus have to frequently connect/disconnect from
          either program which is a real pain.

          At the moment there a re no freeware solutiuons and the commercial
          ones I cannot get to work.

          If this particular feature is important to your operating needs then I
          recommend staying away from Vista for the time being.
        • lightsearch52
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2007
            Have you tried running in XP compatibility mode for your virtual
            serial port? I have already had success with a couple non-amateur
            programs by using compatibility option.

            K9DEH