Re: Good News: Signal Link USB Ordered!!

  • Doug Fitts
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 23, 2013
      Hi Sam:
      Sorry for the "late" reply. I was out all day with the wife and just got back home about 45 minutes ago. Let me see about some chow then afterward I will reply to your comments okay?

      73 for now

      Doug W7FDF
      Vail Arizona U.S.A.

      --- In ham-radio-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "sernstfortin" <sernstfortin@...> wrote:

      > Great. Doug, you have a ts440 right? Are you planning just to work digital modes via ham radio deluxe and dm780 or jt65 or other program, or are you planning to also command the rig frequency as well?
      >
      > Have you ever opened it? Are you going to do storing of frequencies and commanding the frequency and USB/LSB via PC with HRD? You'll probably want to eventually... its referred to as CAT control.
      >
      > The rs232 CAT feature on the rig is an option. Two chips need to be installed on the controller board. See your manual. Then you need a special cable with connector for CAT too.
      >
      > If you don't know if the CAT option is installed, you'll need to open it up. If you determine the chips not installed, leave the rig open. Go on eBay. Get the chips there. Search for ts-440 ic10.
      >
      > You might be able to get them cheaper if you live someplace with a good ic/parts supply store.
      >
      > Don't want to be a killjoy. Don't know if you are already doing CAT with HRD and the TS440S...
      >
      > 73 de kj4vpi. Sam
    • pegduck56
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 23, 2013
        will all this be a summer replacement series....?  just wondering out loud

        k7trk

        ________________________________

        --- In mailto:ham-radio-deluxe%40yahoogroups.com, "sernstfortin" <sernstfortin@...> wrote:

        > Great. Doug, you have a ts440 right? Are you planning just to work digital modes via ham radio deluxe and dm780 or jt65 or other program, or are you planning to also command the rig frequency as well?
        >
        > Have you ever opened it? Are you going to do storing of frequencies and commanding the frequency and USB/LSB via PC with HRD? You'll probably want to eventually... its referred to as CAT control.
        >
        > The rs232 CAT feature on the rig is an option. Two chips need to be installed on the controller board. See your manual. Then you need a special cable with connector for CAT too.
        >
        > If you don't know if the CAT option is installed, you'll need to open it up. If you determine the chips not installed, leave the rig open. Go on eBay. Get the chips there. Search for ts-440 ic10.
        >
        > You might be able to get them cheaper if you live someplace with a good ic/parts supply store.
        >
        > Don't want to be a killjoy. Don't know if you are already doing CAT with HRD and the TS440S...
        >
        > 73 de kj4vpi. Sam

      • sernstfortin
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 24, 2013
          George is spot on.

          I would also recommend you download and print both the User Manual and Service Manual. Just do some Googling. There is a manual for the AutoTuner, and another for the CAT commands as well if you like having full documentation for your equipment. I certainly o.

          What George says about CAT, the TS-440S has a rather rudimentary CAT interface, true. But, with HRD, it is a pleasure, a real pleasure to control the tuning of the radio; this complements nicely the decoding and participation in digital modes.

          If you are going to go to the trouble of getting an interface set up to do SSTV, PSK31, JT65 or something else, you will want to trick your setup out eventually with the CAT interface. HRD lets you store favorites, and it's so nice at the click of just the mouse to get on frequency with the correct USB/LSB setting... And, if you want to chat SSB voice, great. The CAT interface can get you there faster than either the Up/Down keys, Keypad, and VCO knob alone.

          Also, as we TS440 owners know, over time, our keypads suffer from serious "bounce" issues (press one key and multiple registered, or perhaps none at all). One solution to that problem is the CAT interface.

          We are lucky to have that CAT in this fine radio, and HRD and the TS440 work pretty darn good together!!!
          73 de KJ4VPI, Sam

          --- In ham-radio-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, George Hughes <ghhughes@...> wrote:

          > Keep in mind with all of this. The Kenwood TS440 has a very limited cat
          > instruction set. Memories if any are very limited. Rig control will be
          > rudimentary at best. I suggest you study the owners manual covering the
          > programming of the radio. Kenwood usually puts this in the back of the
          > owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual I urge you to get one.
          >
          > de AF4GH George

        • Doug Fitts
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
            --- In ham-radio-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "sernstfortin" <sernstfortin@...> wrote:

            > Great. Doug, you have a ts440 right? Are you planning just to work digital modes via ham radio deluxe and dm780 or jt65 or other program, or are you planning to also command the rig frequency as well?

            Hi Sam, yes, I do have a working Kenwood TS-440SAT HF rig, the second one I have owned since they were introduced way back I think in 1987. I have experimented with the radio with Ham Radio Deluxe a couple of years ago but only in the receive mode.....to see how the program interacts with the radio and my computer.

            > Have you ever opened it? Are you going to do storing of frequencies and commanding the frequency and USB/LSB via PC with HRD? You'll probably want to eventually... its referred to as CAT control.

            Been inside the radio a couple of times, do have both the Instruction and Service manuals for the radio. I have several frequencies in SSB and CW modes stored in memory.

            > The rs232 CAT feature on the rig is an option. Two chips need to be installed on the controller board. See your manual. Then you need a special cable with connector for CAT too.

            I purchased the two IC chips last year, put them in, also purchased a "CAT" interface cable so we are set there. Opening up the radio to install the IC's is NOT for the squeamish. For me a piece of cake as the past 30+ years I have designed and worked with several Ham FM repeaters and have the technical skills and education to handle the electronics within the radio.

            > If you don't know if the CAT option is installed, you'll need to open it up. If you determine the chips not installed, leave the rig open. Go on eBay. Get the chips there. Search for ts-440 ic10.
            >
            > You might be able to get them cheaper if you live someplace with a good ic/parts supply store.

            Again the chips are installed and working as they should.

            > Don't want to be a killjoy. Don't know if you are already doing CAT with HRD and the TS440S...

            Soon my friend, soon I will be playing with the HRD program, doing some digital communications using PSK-31 and do want to play "remote access" with the TS-440S.

            Right now I am warn out from installing a new G5RV multiband antenna yesterday afternoon. At age 69+ these bones are telling me I need to take it easy, not climb my 20 foot ladder and walk the roof of my home too often......LOL!!

            The good news Sam....the G5RV is working well with the built in auto tuner in the TS-440S. I have not tried all bands but so far 20, 40 and 80 meters, the tuner and antenna are working okay.

            Thursday I should get UPS delivery of the Signal Link USB device and looking forward to hooking it up to the Kenwood to see how it operates. Its 5:45am MST....think I had better get back to the pillow and get a couple more hours sleep. Our 16 month old granddaughter will be here between 9 and 9:30 so I had better muster up all of my remaining energy to deal with the little rascal.....LOL!

            73

            Doug W7FDF
            Vail Arizona U.S.A.
          • sernstfortin
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
              Doug.
              Great rig. Glad you are all set with the IC-10 option, and good to hear you got the antenna up. My GR5V is not up, nor my vertical. One of my rascals has hidden my fishing pole. I did find my sling shot though. Maybe this coming weekend I'll show my gumbies how dad does it without a ladder, and without getting on the roof!

              With a 75ft random wire located N/S, I'm picking PSK32 up from everywhere, even more with JT65... Even locations N/S from my QTH!

              Don't forget to set up PSKREPORTER in HRD, and JT65 if you try that too. It's a lot of fun to see a graph of who sees you and what you've seen.

              http://www.pskreporter.info/
              http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

              Next project will be installing a BHI NEDSP1061-KBD module so some of the background noise in the audio from my TS-440S can be put to bed.

              73 and great DX.
              KJ4VI, Sam

              --- In ham-radio-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Fitts" <w7fdf@...> >