Re: [ham-radio-deluxe] Re: Question about HRD and Prolific Serial/USB adapter

  • Michael Walker
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 1, 2011
      Al

      Walmart or Best Buy -- buy a couple different versions and take back the
      one(s) you don't need. You don't really need to spend lots of money for
      shipping, etc.

      If your drivers are up to date, you will find that the FTDI or the Prolific
      chipsets are just fine. Sadly, you can't tell which chipset it is until
      open it up, but you can still return.

      In fact, I am using an older FT8U232AM that has 2 Serial ports on it and it
      even it works fine. That device is about 7 years old.

      In all cases, I am using all 3 on Windows 7 64 Bit.

      Mike VA3MW

      On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:58 PM, James M.(Jim) Geidl
      <jgeidl@...>wrote:

      > ...just be sure and pick one that has the FTDI chip.
      >
      > James "Jim" M. Geidl, K6JMG

    • Peleg Lapid
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 11, 2011
        Hello

        Unfortunately in the market there are many types of "prolific" chips and
        adaptors. In our market most of them are cheap Chinese fakes that works with
        some reliability only with XP.

        Your description is typical behavior of a faked Prolific chip.

        Please look for adaptors with FTDI chips. Up to day we have not met a faked
        FTDI chips.

        73 Peleg 4X1GP