Family Lion of Judah Ring

  • Stacey Fields
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 19, 2011
      Hi, Selassie artifact enthusiasts!

      I'm glad to have found a group like this, and hope some of you are still
      active and knowledgeable.

      I've been reading a lot about Bob Marley's ring, the connection to Emperor
      Selassie and find it interesting that time and time again this ring is
      referred to as if it were a singular artifact.

      I possess a gold on black Lion of Judah ring that was given to my
      grandfather by a very good friend of his. It was given to this friend by
      Haile Selassie himself upon one of his visits to Ethiopia. My grandfather
      died in the late 70's, so all I know is that the Emperor gave it to this
      friend (whom I do know by name), and many years later the friend gave it to
      my grandfather. I think that Selassie gave him the ring in the 50s.

      My sense is that the Emperor had several to many of these rings that he
      bestowed to friends and visiting dignitaries as gifts. But the Marley
      stories all make it sound like he had "the" ring that was left to the prince
      by his father, "his father's ring."

      I know there are many, many copies of this ring out there for collectors and
      Rastafarians, but I do know that this ring was given to our family friend by
      Haile Selassie himself.

      Does anyone know how many rings like this are out there? That is, that not
      only look like the gold lion of Judah ring but also were given directly by
      Haile Selassie himself?

      I love it and wear it, and have no desire to sell it, but I'm starting to
      think that perhaps its far more valuable than I had guessed.

      Thanks for any insight you may be able to share!

      Stacey

    • Brian, Brian Wood, Wood
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 20, 2011
        Blessed Love Stacey,
        I was under the impression that the ring was the ring handed down to Haile
        Selassie I's son Prince Asfa Wosen, But it was not Bob Marley's ring. Instead
        rather, Bob was allowed to put the ring on, possed for a picture with it (the
        famous photo), and then returned it to the display. This was a priviledge Bob
        was granted, but it was in no way given to him to keep. I am trying to contact
        Jah Jim in Los Angeles as he has a large collection of Ethiopian artifacts and
        is very knowledgable on these matters. The ring you posses, such as items I have
        been given by the royal family, is extremely priceless. It is more honourable to
        put the ring in your pocket and beg for food then to ever sell it to pay for
        earthly pleasures. However, the ring itself is an earthly pleasure and it's true
        value lies in the spirit by which it found it's way to you.Please feel free to
        contact me at anytime, even through technology it is the human connection that
        brings life unto life.
        Peace, Love, Health, Guidance, and Protection,
        Jah Brian

      • rasadam
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 20, 2011
          Stacey,
          what a great thing to have! be careful you don't take it off
          to wash your hands in some sink or something and leave it anywhere by accident. to me it's priceless and i wouldn't sell it either. no idea how many presentation rings were given out, but His Majesty did give lots of gifts.
          adam simeo

        • hi_lighter144@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 20, 2011
            From my recollection, even in the biography Catch a Fire which is very well researched Bob Marley was given the ring by HH Asfaw Wossen. In that piece of literature Asfaw is quoted to have said "you deserve it more than I do" before handing the Imperial ring to Marley.

            Marley wore the ring from henceforth and he is seen in many pictures in it.

            With respect to rings... It desigates the imperial realm and commitment. Solomon gave Makeda his ring as his ensignia that menelik would know he was Jerusalem's prince.

            Our Emperor was given a ring upon his Coronation along with six other gifts by the Church.

            I cannot for certain say this is the same ring Marley wears because in the pictures of our Emperor he wears a solid gold ring in the shape of a lion's head.... Which is different from the onyx ring with the encrusted diamond that Bob was given.... But the ring given to Bob fits the description of the national geographic mazagine description pertaining to the ring our Emperor wore.

            In the book Catch a Fire. Bob asks HH if it was HIM's ring and HH said yes the one he wore.... So by honourable word Bob was granted a very powerful ring... One that was worthy to be placed on the heir. Asfaw Wossen said " you deserve" meaning you are even more committed to my father than I am. It is a very honourable confession.

            I have also seen the imperial signet worn by members of the family.... Anyone who wears a signet whether handed down by grandfather, given by friend or lover bears the power and responsibility to see that the cause of Ethiopia is furthered. The ring is a reminder. It is a commitment symbol. It is not to be taken lightly, it is equivalent to marriage. Whoever places one of these rings on their finger is destined and in whose destiny Ethiopia lies, this is one reason the Emperor chose carefully to whom he offered a ring.... He has offered medals and sceptres too but the ring means "you are family to me and I am committed to you."

            I hope this is abundanly clear.
            Sent from my BlackBerry� smartphone powered by Claro 3G.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 20, 2011
              Thank you. I am in touch with Jim. I will never sell it- it is a family treasure.

              Stacey

              On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:17 PM, "Brian, Brian Wood, Wood" <jahgarden@...> wrote:

              > Blessed Love Stacey,
              > I was under the impression that the ring was the ring handed down to Haile
              > Selassie I's son Prince Asfa Wosen, But it was not Bob Marley's ring. Instead
              > rather, Bob was allowed to put the ring on, possed for a picture with it (the
              > famous photo), and then returned it to the display. This was a priviledge Bob
              > was granted, but it was in no way given to him to keep. I am trying to contact
              > Jah Jim in Los Angeles as he has a large collection of Ethiopian artifacts and
              > is very knowledgable on these matters. The ring you posses, such as items I have
              > been given by the royal family, is extremely priceless. It is more honourable to
              > put the ring in your pocket and beg for food then to ever sell it to pay for
              > earthly pleasures. However, the ring itself is an earthly pleasure and it's true
              > value lies in the spirit by which it found it's way to you.Please feel free to
              > contact me at anytime, even through technology it is the human connection that
              > brings life unto life.
              > Peace, Love, Health, Guidance, and Protection,
              > Jah Brian

            • Edward
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 21, 2011
                Thank You Stacey, for sharing with me photos of your ring. However, I noticed that the ring you have and the one given to Bob Marley by Crown Prince Asfa Wossen, son of HIM Emperor Haile Selassie 1 of Ethiopia are totally different in design. Yours has the Lion of Judah facing towards the left and Bob Marley's faces right. Also the mounting designs are also quite different. I also took the liberty of sending your comments and photos to Mr. Solomon Kibriye for his comments and input. Solomon's father and grandfather were for years the personal imperial court jewelers to His Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie to see if your ring might have been one they designed. You can also see a very clear image of the ring on the Bob Marley album "Legend".

                I also noticed an additional comment that was posted concerning Bob Marley and his ownership of the ring given to him by Crown Prince Asfa Wossen in London while he was living in exile. It should be noted that Bob worn this ring throughout his entire life once it was given to him by the Crown Prince and very seldom was seen without it on. As a matter of fact it was also stated by Bob's son Stephen when asked what happened to his father's ring after his death?...Bob's Son Stephen (Ragga) Marley posted the following reply to all of the inquires on the "Melody Makers Forum" Web-page: (4-9-2002)…"The Ring was buried with Bob" (unquote)....

                I would also recommend for those interested in how Bob came into possession or ownership of the ring of Emperor Haile Selassie to refer to two books which give detailed information on the subject. One is the account in the book "Catch a Fire" the Life of Bob Marley", by author Timothy White. "Shortly before that "Smile Jamaica" concert Bob and members of his band the Wailers were targets of an assassination attempt on Bob's life because of his political involvement. Three days after the concert Bob disappeared, when he resurfaced, he spent a period of convalescence in Miami, New York and Delaware. He then secretly traveled to England. While there, some of the ranking Rasta's in London put him in touch with officials of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. In the course of meeting with a number of Ethiopian exiles, Bob was granted an audience in London with Crown Prince Asfa Wossen, son of HIM Emperor Haile Selassie 1 of Ethiopia.
                It was a private audience, the two men speaking for almost two hours. The Crown Prince talked about his father His Majesty Haile Selassie-his life , his betrayal by his own officers in 1974.Crown Prince Wossen went on to describe the situation in Ethiopia since the coup. The provisional Military Council had taken over the government, promising a civilian democracy and, eventually , a new constitution. Fifty-one year old war hero Lieutenant General Aman Andom had risen as chairman of the council. The military had said it planned to recall the Crown Prince from Geneva, where he was then convalescing after an operation, to be crowned King (which was to be a purely ceremonial post). It was just a ploy; no invitation ever came.
                The government that emerged from the Ethiopian revolution proved to be Marxist, headed by Mengistu Haile Mariam. Crown Prince Wossen regretted that the International Red Cross had not been more forceful in following through on his request to carry out an independent inquiry into His Majesty's death.

                As Marley was leaving, the crown prince said he had something for him. "This belonged to His Majesty,' he said "you are the one who should wear it." He showed the Rasta a ring. Bob was dumbstruck. It was the ring he had seen in his dream in Delaware- a black stone bearing the figure of the Lion of Judah. Crown Prince Wossen slipped the ring onto Bob's forefinger, just as the man in the dream had done. It fit perfectly. Noticing the odd mix of terror and joy in Bob's expression the crown prince asked if something was wrong? Bob told him that a riddle he had lived with for a long time had finally been solved. (pages 294-295).

                Bob Marley died on cancer shortly before noon on May 11,1981. Prophet Gad head of the Twelve Tribes had let it be known that when Bob Marley died he wanted Selassie's ring, said to be a precious relic containing actual fragments of King Solomon's own ring. From the moment Bob died until the final minutes before he was sealed in his coffin and placed in the hilltop mausoleum in Nine Miles, Gad's campaign to obtain the mystical gift was unrelenting. But it was conducted with such secrecy and cunning that the over-whelming majority of the people closest to Bob never even guessed the significance of the ring. They never knew where it had come from, or thought to inquire about what, if anything, might become of it.
                Unbeknownst to those who made their overtures on behalf of Prophet Gad-from Skilly Cole and Pee Wee Fraser to virtually all of the sect's ruling council (including many prominent Jamaicans who reveled their membership in the Tribes to the Marley family solely for the purpose of helping to obtain the ring) Bob had taken it off just before leaving Germany and had given it to Diane Jobson, his longtime attorney for safekeeping. At first he mulled over the notion of entrusting it to her against the day it might be given to his son Ziggy, but then he decided he had no right to give it to anyone under any circumstances. (Besides Bob 's other three children by Rita-Cedella, Stevie, the infant Stephanie-Bob had seven other children by different woman, who were legally acknowledged: girls Karen and Makeda Jannesta, boys Rohan, Robbie, Kimani, Julian and Damien, the last being his infant son by Cindy Breakspeare. Also, he adopted Rita's daughter Sharon.)

                Cedella recalled a visit that Selassie's granddaughter and nephew had paid Bob more than a year before. The meeting took place in the Miami home in which Bob had recently installed Cedella, his half brothers and half sisters Bob, Cedella and Selassie's kin were sitting in the living room talking when Bob indicated the ring, which he never removed.

                "Dis indeed was His majesty's ring? He asked.

                The Ethiopians nodded, saying that it was the very ring the emperor had worn throughout his life. Bob was silent for a few moments and then, softly, matter-of-factly, but, in a voice that trembled in a way Cedella had never thought possible, he said, "Ya know. Sometimes dis ring, it burn my finger, like fire".

                The ring was on his finger when Robert Nesta Marley, O.M. lay in state in Jamaica, and once the coffin was sealed in a closed-door ceremony, the question of its whereabouts was likewise sealed. At the interment of Bob Marley's remains approached, Prophet Gad was rumored to be in a righteous rage beyond describing.

                Finally, when Bob Marley was buried and all Jamaica had bade him farewell, top ranking members of the Twelve Tribes of Israel presented Diane Jobson with a bill for three thousand dollars, telling her it was for ceremonial services rendered by the sect during the funeral services. She was appalled. "Yah nuh get thirty pieces a silver from me, Judases" she spat back. The delegation of Twelve Tribesmen next confronted Cedella Marley Booker and demanded to know what had become of Bob's mystical Solomonic legacy? At first, she didn't quite comprehend what they were getting at.

                A recent convert to Rasta herself, she discussed the Scriptures, principally the Book of Revelation, and she talked about Daniel, who was a prophet held captive in Babylon in the sixth century B.C., had predicted woeful events that were to occur between 1948 and the end of the twentieth century, as preludes to the Apocalypse. She also fretted that Bob's godmother, Roslyn Downs, who had never stood by him, had actually had the nerve to phone, saying. "But, Caddy, me never know Nesta was a prophet" Cedella said she pitted the women, and the quoted aloud from Matthew 25:13. "watch, therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour."

                The Twelve Tribes leaders were becoming impatient with these musings. Where had the ring gone?

                "De ring gwan back at where it come from, same as Bob," said Cedella, still contemplative, her head bowed.

                Where? They asked, Where was that? Tell us! Yahso! Exactly where was Solomon's ring to be found?

                Cedella looked up, her eyes narrowing as she scrutinized her interrogators. Then her expression relaxed, a smile playing on her lips. She realized that these people, who called themselves Rasta, actually did not know the whereabouts of the ring.

                "De ring gwan back from whence it came," she repeated, her voice quiet but firm. "It back on His Majesty's mighty hand. And yuh," she added, still more quietly, "know neither de day nor the de hour." (Pages 313-315)

                The second and more detailed account of how Bob Marley came into possession and ownership of the ring of Emperor Haile Selassie is in the Book "Marley and Me", Page 147...By Author: Don Taylor (Bob's former Business Manager)

                Excerpt from the Book: "During this period Bob also met the Crown Prince of Ethiopia, Asfa Wossen, who asked him for financial help in bringing Haile Selassie's family out of Ethiopia. Without a moment hesitation, Bob gave the prince $50,000.00 No matter what costs, he felt strongly that he could never refuse a request to help the Selassie family. Helping them, he felt, was a duty as a Rastafarian, perhaps even his reason for being or destiny. His Rastafarian faith never wavered but only seemed to grow stronger with the years.
                As a token of appreciation, the prince gave Bob a "ring" that had been passed down to him through the family. Accepting it as a sign and a crowning affirmation of his faith, Bob wore the ring from that day on and was "buried with it". He took the ring as a symbol of his youthful promise, an interpretation shared by those close to him and with whom he had a common religious bond and who knew about his dreams and visions. The "ring" became an object of controversy upon his death, with some family members and friends objecting that it should not have been "buried with him".

                Finally Stacey, I hope that my brief descriptions helps you in your quest for information about your own ring and clears up for others how the ring of the late Emperor Haile Selassie ring came to be given to Bob Marley by Crown Prince Asfa Wossen in London, and what happened to this relic after Bob's death. "Selam"

                --- In haileselassieiofethiopia@yahoogroups.com, "Stacey Fields" <stacey@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Selassie artifact enthusiasts!
                >

                > I'm glad to have found a group like this, and hope some of you are still
                > active and knowledgeable.
                >

                > I've been reading a lot about Bob Marley's ring, the connection to Emperor
                > Selassie and find it interesting that time and time again this ring is
                > referred to as if it were a singular artifact.
                >

                > I possess a gold on black Lion of Judah ring that was given to my
                > grandfather by a very good friend of his. It was given to this friend by
                > Haile Selassie himself upon one of his visits to Ethiopia. My grandfather
                > died in the late 70's, so all I know is that the Emperor gave it to this
                > friend (whom I do know by name), and many years later the friend gave it to
                > my grandfather. I think that Selassie gave him the ring in the 50s.
                >

                > My sense is that the Emperor had several to many of these rings that he
                > bestowed to friends and visiting dignitaries as gifts. But the Marley
                > stories all make it sound like he had "the" ring that was left to the prince
                > by his father, "his father's ring."
                >

                > I know there are many, many copies of this ring out there for collectors and
                > Rastafarians, but I do know that this ring was given to our family friend by
                > Haile Selassie himself.
                >

                > Does anyone know how many rings like this are out there? That is, that not
                > only look like the gold lion of Judah ring but also were given directly by
                > Haile Selassie himself?
                >

                > I love it and wear it, and have no desire to sell it, but I'm starting to
                > think that perhaps its far more valuable than I had guessed.
                >

                > Thanks for any insight you may be able to share!
                >

                > Stacey

              • Stacey Fields
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 21, 2011
                  Yes. It is very different. I was recently told by an expert that Marley only wore that ring for the Album photo. It was not given to him.

                  Thanks for all the info.

                  Stacey

                • Edward King
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
                    Freedom Broadcasting Network

                    Good Morning Mr. Woods (Jah Brian)

                    I read with intense interest your response to Ms. Stacey
                    Fields inquiry about a ring that she has, which was passed on to her from her late
                    grandfather, and the ring that Bob Marley wore? You stated that the ring given
                    to Bob Marley by then Crown Prince Asfa Wossen was not given to him to keep,
                    but only on loan to Bob for display of promotional purposes
                    You stated and I quote: (But it was not Bob Marley's ring.
                    Instead rather, Bob was allowed to put the ring on, posed for a picture with it
                    (the famous photo), and then returned it to the display. This was a privilege
                    Bob was granted, but it was in no way given to him to keep?) Could you please reveal
                    your source for this information?
                    You also mentioned that you had been also given various
                    gifts by members of the Ethiopian Imperial Family. Could you also state what
                    gifts that you were given?
                    Edward L. King, President
                    Freedom Broadcasting Network L.L.C.

                    This e-mail and any accompanying attachments may be privileged, confidential, contain protected information or be otherwise protected from disclosure. State and federal law protect the confidentiality of this information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient; you are prohibited from using, disclosing, reproducing or distributing this information; you should immediately notify the sender by telephone or e-mail and delete this e-mail.

                    >I was under the impression that the ring was the ring handed down to Haile
                    >Selassie I's son Prince Asfa Wosen, But it was not Bob Marley's ring. Instead
                    >rather, Bob was allowed to put the ring on, possed for a picture with it (the
                    >famous photo), and then returned it to the display. This was a priviledge Bob
                    >was granted, but it was in no way given to him to keep. I am trying to contact
                    >Jah Jim in Los Angeles as he has a large collection of Ethiopian artifacts and
                    >is very knowledgable on these matters. The ring you posses, such as items I have
                    >been given by the royal family, is extremely priceless. It is more honourable to
                    >put the ring in your pocket and beg for food then to ever sell it to pay for
                    >earthly pleasures. However, the ring itself is an earthly pleasure and it's true
                    >value lies in the spirit by which it found it's way to you.Please feel free to
                    >contact me at anytime, even through technology it is the human connection that
                    >brings life unto life.
                    >Peace, Love, Health, Guidance, and Protection,
                    >Jah Brian

                  • phil brad
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2011
                      got any photos?