Solomon K, can the I help with this One?

  • nattysound
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2009
      Greetings...

      Solomon, I hadn't seen the I post in this group in a while, and I was happy to see your presence here again, as I have always found your insights very valuable. I posted this query in the past, without much responce, perhaps the I can shine some light on it. I am very appreciative of your or anyOne elses' help with this question, give thanks...

      I was hoping that Ones could help me with the English translation of
      the Amharic (or maybe Ge'ez?) word "Atse", as in Atse Haile Selassie.
      I've seen the word Atse used in front of His Majesty's name and in
      front of Menelik II's name as in, Atse Menelik. I am curious as to
      the meaning of the word Atse, and also very interested in any other
      instance that the word Atse might be used. It was explained to I that
      Atse is used before a word to make it "Kibbur" which, as far as my
      understanding goes, is to make it "Holy". So to use Atse in front of
      a King's name makes sense, but is it only reserved for Kings or is it
      used elsewhere? and what is it's meaning? Thanks to all the I's who
      may be able to help with I query!!!

      SELAM
    • Rashaun Yorrick
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 12, 2009
        Bless-ed Love Kings and Queens of the Royal Nation. The meaning of the Abyssinian word Atse is Emperor used in front of the the names of King of Kings such as I Haile Selassie or II Menelik.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 12, 2009
          Hello Rashuan and fellow group members,

          Thank you for your kind words my brother.  It is good to be back.

          To answer your question about the translation and usage of the honorific of "Atse" can get pretty involved.  The word is an ancient one that is difficult to translate.  Often it is translated as "Emperor", but where as Emperor is a title, Atse is an honorific like "majesty", yet the correct translation for "majesty" is "girmawi", so Atse is a unique honorific that probably is best translated as "Emperor".  That deals roughly as with the translation, now about it's usage.  The term "Atse" is used only for the King of Kings of Ethiopia, and not for any other King within Ethiopia, or for foreign Emperors either.  For an Emperor to bear the title of Atse  he must have been crowned at Axum (such as Atse Yohannes IV), or if he was crowned elsewhere, must have his coronation validated by a special ceremonial mass at Axum later (as in the cases of Atse Menelik II and Atse Haile Selassie).  There is no feminine version for Atse, so although Empress Zewditu
          was Nigiste Negest (Queen of Kings), Empress, and bore the titles of Elect of God and Conquering Lion of Judah as just as her father Menelik II before her and her cousin Haile Selassie I after her, she did not bear the title of Atse.

          I hope I have explained a bit about the title of Atse.

          Solomon

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 12, 2009
            I am curious Brother Solomon.Are  there any titles that Haile Selassie recieved at HIS Coronation  that other crowned Highneses   did not recieve sir ?. For Example did the other Highneses bestow the name The Light of This World at the time of said Coronation

            RESPECT...Nigel Francois

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 13, 2009
              Good day everyone,

              Thanks Solomon for your explanation. I have one question concerning Atse
              Amha Selassie. You wrote: "For an Emperor to bear the title of Atse he
              must have been crowned at Axum (such as Atse Yohannes IV), or if he was
              crowned elsewhere, must have his coronation validated by a special
              ceremonial mass at Axum later". Was this the case with Atse Amha
              Selassie?

              Thanks in advance,

              Usumani

              ________________________________

              From: Rashaun Yorrick <rasshaun247@...
              <mailto:rasshaun247%40yahoo.com> >
              with this One?
              To: haileselassieiofethiopia@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:haileselassieiofethiopia%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 13, 2009
                Atse is another name for emporer

                Debbie xxx

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 13, 2009
                  Greetings Beloved Sons and Daughters of the Ever-living Emperor and Empress of the Empire of the ARK (Almighty Rastafari Kingdom, AFreeCAH Righteous Kingdom).  As a lifelong student of truth and right, I give thanks for the positive sharing of information to enable InI to 'rightly' divide the word of truth according to know.ledge and not just zeal.

                  Give thanks for you Brother Solomon and the clarification of "Atse.".  In this Omega month recognized globally as Women's History Month (and Social Work month) InI are celebrating our Imperial Mother Empress Menen.  Can you share a similar etymology of Her 'Itegue' (sp) title.

                  Blessed Peace, Love and Unity
                  queenmothermoses Executive President & CEO, Empress of Zion, Inc.
                  International Ambassador, ARK/EADUMC
                  Ambassdaor, Southern African Youth Movement (SAYM)
                  770 593 4818 (Atlanta, Georgia, USA)
                  678 438-6729 (Cell)
                  AFreeCAH for those at Home and in the Diaspora!
                  Aboriginal Free Continent Ancient Homeland

                  ________________________________
[...]

                  Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail. yahoo.ca

                • solomon kibriye
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
                    It is with deep regret that I must inform the group of the death of Her Imperial Majesty Empress Medferiashwork, widow of Emperor Amha Selassie, and daughter-in-law of Emperor Haile Selassie. May God grant her eternal rest.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
                      Hello Marcia and fellow group members,

                      Itege (also spelled Itegue) is the title confered on the Empress Consorts and Empress Dowagers (Queen Mothers) of Ethiopia.  These wives and mothers of reigning monarchs were accorded immense respect and deference, and were powerful figures in their own right.  Significant Empress Consorts and Dowager Empresses included Itegue Eleni (wife of Beide Mariam I, step mother of Naod and step-grandmother and regent of Libne Dingel), and Itegue Seble Wongel (wife of Libne Dingel, mother of Gelawdewos, and Minas) Itegue Mariam Senna (wife of Sartsa Dingel).  Probably the most famous are Itegue Mintewab (wife of Bekafa, mother and regent of Eyasu II and grandmother and regent of Iyoas), and Taitu, (wife of Menelik II).  Of course the most recent were Itegue Menen (wife of Haile Selassie I) and Itegue Medferiash, (wife of Amha Selassie) who died just two days ago.

                      The word "Itegue" is said to be derived from the words "Ihete Ager" or "sister of the country".  Ihet or sister is often verbally abreviated as "Ite" and elder sisters and aunts are often addressed by the honorific of "Itiye" (dearest sister). Ite Agere became "Itegue" over time.

                      Please note that when Zewditu Menelik became Empress of Ethiopia in her own right in 1917, she did not become Itegue.  Itegue is reserved for the wives and mothers of male monarchs.  She became "Nigiste Negest" (Queen of Kings), the femine version of King of Kings.  She is the only woman to receive this distinction since ancient times.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
                        our greatest and sincerest condolances to the Empress and the Royal Family in this tragic time.ONE LOVE

                        RESPECT...Nigel Francois