some pix n facts

  • rasadam
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
    • nattysound
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008
        Give Thanks Ras Adam...I appreciate this website very much. If
        anybody has any info on the picture of the priest please please let me
        know, Solomon is the I there. Is that priest in fact dreadlocked?
        I've seen Ba'atawi, but never a Church priest wearing locks, perhaps
        80 years ago this practice was more likely to behold amongst the
        clergy than today, any info will be much appreciated. Also, did
        anyone read the comments left after the article which gave the lineage
        of Kings of Ethiopia. It seemed the man was implying something very
        distasteful regarding His Majesty and I found it very unfounded and
        disraspectful, any info regarding the poisoning of Menelik II and
        Zawditu will also be much appreciated. Give Thanks All Ones...

        In His Majesty I Trust

        Selam

        --- In haileselassieiofethiopia@yahoogroups.com, rasadam
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > http://ethiopedia.blogspot.com/

      • rasadam
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
          I emailed you a photo of a modern priest w/ dreadlocks from Addis
          photographed by bob marley's art director neville garrick from his
          book on Ethiopia. as for the poisoning, the Ethiopian rulers have long
          histories of "accidents" etc befalling people in line and in the
          way...many books touch on these incidents. Of their accuracy i have no
          idea. a

          --- In haileselassieiofethiopia@yahoogroups.com, "nattysound"

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
          • Miguel delRio
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
              I have also read of many accounts of the sudden and "mysterious" death of Zewditu - which many attribute to an over abitious young regent but this is the first I've heard of posioning of Menelik.

              When you say - implying something very

              <nattysound@ ...> wrote:

              > Give Thanks Ras Adam...I appreciate this website very much. If
              > anybody has any info on the picture of the priest please please let me
              > know, Solomon is the I there. Is that priest in fact dreadlocked?
              > I've seen Ba'atawi, but never a Church priest wearing locks, perhaps
              > 80 years ago this practice was more likely to behold amongst the
              > clergy than today, any info will be much appreciated. Also, did
              > anyone read the comments left after the article which gave the lineage
              > of Kings of Ethiopia. It seemed the man was implying something very
              > distasteful regarding His Majesty and I found it very unfounded and
              > disraspectful, any info regarding the poisoning of Menelik II and
              > Zawditu will also be much appreciated. Give Thanks All Ones...
              >
              > In His Majesty I Trust
              >
              > Selam
              >
              > --- In haileselassieiofeth iopia@yahoogroup s.com, rasadam
              > <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > http://ethiopedia. blogspot. com/

            • aldo distefano
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
                please excuse any silly notions i may have. my memory is skechy but if i recall correctly...lij iyeaseu was muslim, and caused the rift for the throne. not in over 200 years was the emperor muslim and the coptic church among others backed HIM for the throne. A campain was undertaken to capture Lij iyeasu by selassie but never to kill him as they were cousins. he was under house assrest several times only to escape and be recaptured... this occured until his death..i believe while under house arrest...but again, as the way the politics played out at the time, the story and the source share a common theme. as far as ploitics play a role in the message HIM taught so do all he uttered and revealed in his "official" reign as emperor, as we as rastas must search history for every utterence and try to live and abide by HIM's will that the future will heed his direction. all colors, all genders, all nations, all people...come together with the overstanding
                of ONE LOVE.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
                  Greetings Ones of the All...

                  "When you say - implying something very
                  > > > distasteful regarding His Majesty - are you referring
                  > > to Haile Selassie? Seems strange since he was a sure bet to
                  > > succed him anyway. Zewie favored Lij Iyeaseu but Menelik
                  > > favored his nephew - right???"

                  It is my overstanding that it is the other way around. That Menelik
                  had in fact favored Lij Yassu, and it was Zawditu that had favored His
                  Majesty Girmawi Qedamawi Haile Selassie. Later before his capture, or
                  should I say captures, since he seemed to have continually escaped,
                  Lij Yassu converted to Islam in hopes of gaining support from Muslims
                  of great power and securing the throne for himself. He was most
                  surely an Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Christian before his attempt to
                  rise to greater power. Lij Yassu was also reportedly suffering from a
                  dementia of sorts; with the conversion to Islam and the possibility of
                  insanity he was out of the running by default no matter who supported
                  him at the time. So on this basis alone the opportunity was
                  Rightfully there for His Majesty to ascend the throne, although it had
                  been written in the stars all along...

                  "A campain was undertaken to capture Lij iyeasu by selassie but never
                  to kill him as they were cousins. he was under house assrest several
                  times only to escape and be recaptured... this occured until his
                  death..i believe while under house arrest..."

                  I overs this to be the truth as we know it as well.

                  I also have to say BETAM AMESEGNALLO!!! to Ras Adam for posting the
                  picture of the Ba'atawi. His name is Abba Mengeshu, I have had the
                  great privilege to sit with him on two occasions and he is One of the
                  most beautiful people I've ever met. It brings back wonderful
                  memories to see that picture, give thanks I...

                  On a less personal note, the picture of Abba Mengeshu is a good
                  example of the difference between the Ba'atawi and a member of the
                  ETOC priest order. The picture of the priest shows the man donning a
                  white turban which is something I've only witnessed ordained clergy
                  doing and same way for the black cloak he was wearing in the picture
                  on the EthiopediaBlog site. The striking thing about the priest was
                  the size of his turban and what looked like hair at the top, which
                  made me think he too was a locksman. One thing I know about Ba'atawi
                  is that they do not enter churches they go near them just not inside,
                  and it's not like I've seen many Ba'atawi but I have seen several and
                  they all tend to have their locks showing, wearing an Orthodox cap or
                  cloth around the head but still with locks out, so the picture of the
                  priest looked like just that, a churchical priest. I had just never
                  heard of or seen a priest of the church wearing locks, so again if
                  anyone has any information about this piece of culture please let I
                  anI know. And if Solomon K, is reading I would be so grateful to hear
                  the I's opinions.

                  Give Thanks

                  SELAM

                  --- In haileselassieiofethiopia@yahoogroups.com, aldo distefano
                  <horialdo@...> wrote:

                  > please excuse any silly notions i may have. my memory is skechy but
                  if i recall correctly...lij iyeaseu was muslim, and caused the rift
                  for the throne. not in over 200 years was the emperor muslim and the
                  coptic church among others backed HIM for the throne. A campain was
                  undertaken to capture Lij iyeasu by selassie but never to kill him as
                  they were cousins. he was under house assrest several times only to
                  escape and be recaptured... this occured until his death..i believe
                  while under house arrest...but again, as the way the politics played
                  out at the time, the story and the source share a common theme. as
                  far as ploitics play a role in the message HIM taught so do all he
                  uttered and revealed in his "official" reign as emperor, as we as
                  rastas must search history for every utterence and try to live and
                  abide by HIM's will that the future will heed his direction. all
                  colors, all genders, all nations, all people...come together with the
                  overstanding
                  > of ONE LOVE.

                • nigel francois
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
                    Give Thanks to THE MOST HIGH YAH Itinually .
                    Bless up Ras Adam
                    This is a coin and artifacts forum I and I must give respect to that fact first and foremost .
                    BIG UP Ras Adam for the  good  works.
                    Great critique by the I who explained  the  ascention of Haile I RAS TA-Far-I  to the Throne  of David . Zewditu did favour Ta-Far-I.
                    Menelik liked Lij I-Yassu..
                    It was  THE ALL's destiny plan that no mere  mortal  cannot stop
                    Great back ground info on the priest picture additionally ,I.
                    Bless Up
                    Everyone Is Everyone

                    Greetings Ones of the All...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
                      All true. Lij iyeasu was muslim, which is one reason why he never made it to the throne. I never knew there was a muslim emperor. Who was he, when did he reign?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
                        again...please forgive my faulty memory... im away from all my books and such but i think it was emperor johannes...or he restored the christian monarchy....i cant be sure of the names at the moment. its been years since i recalled this information. im sure its online somewhere.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
                          "I never knew there was a muslim emperor. Who was he, when did he reign?"

                          There never was, I am unclear as to what was said that implied there
                          was a Muslim Emperor. The title of Negus Negast is reserved strictly
                          for those who are Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Christian. There have
                          been Muslims who have held power over portions of Ethiopia, I am
                          unsure as to what their title would have been. During the reign of
                          Menelik II there were many battles fought between Menelik and Muslim
                          rulers, ultimately Menelik kept the upper hand, by the time Ras Teferi
                          was rising to power it is my impression that the power Muslims held
                          over Ethiopian land was well in decline; but they must have still had
                          enough influence to make Lij Yassu think that having them as allies
                          would be more beneficial than those of the ETOC faith. Lij Yassu then
                          converted to Islam to win favor amongst Muslim power holders who for
                          whatever reason did not give him the support he thought he might get.
                          In the end the Lion of Judah prevailed, and Lij Yassu fell to his own
                          short comings.

                          SELAM

                          --- In haileselassieiofethiopia@yahoogroups.com, Miguel delRio

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008
                            as i research .. i believe it was emperor yohannes who was "friendly" wiht the muslims and allowed them to enter and co-exsist w the christians in ethiopia....the year of yohannes's reigh was...1667-1682. also...tekle hamimount....if memory serves correctly... one of them favored the islamic faith (i believe)...(i hope im not incorrect and i pray not to offend anyone with a faulty memory.) please fact check, and i look forward to seeing the results
                            peace
                            aldo

                            > "I never knew there was a muslim emperor. Who was he,
                            > when did he reign?"
                            >
                            > There never was, I am unclear as to what was said that
                            > implied there
                            > was a Muslim Emperor. The title of Negus Negast is reserved
                            > strictly
                            > for those who are Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Christian.
                            > There have
                            > been Muslims who have held power over portions of Ethiopia,
                            > I am
                            > unsure as to what their title would have been. During the
                            > reign of
                            > Menelik II there were many battles fought between Menelik
                            > and Muslim
                            > rulers, ultimately Menelik kept the upper hand, by the time
                            > Ras Teferi
                            > was rising to power it is my impression that the power
                            > Muslims held
                            > over Ethiopian land was well in decline; but they must have
                            > still had
                            > enough influence to make Lij Yassu think that having them
                            > as allies
                            > would be more beneficial than those of the ETOC faith. Lij
                            > Yassu then
                            > converted to Islam to win favor amongst Muslim power
                            > holders who for
                            > whatever reason did not give him the support he thought he
                            > might get.
                            > In the end the Lion of Judah prevailed, and Lij Yassu fell
                            > to his own
                            > short comings.
                            >
                            > SELAM
                            >
                            > --- In haileselassieiofethiopia@yahoogroups.com, Miguel
                            > delRio
                            > <migueldelrio_99@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > All true. Lij iyeasu was muslim, which is one reason
                            > why he never
                            > made it to the throne. I never knew there was a muslim
                            > emperor. Who
                            > was he, when did he reign?

                          • rasadam
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 22, 2008
                              RE:Dreadlocked Priests

                              here's another one
                              possibly from national geographic
                              http://tinyurl.com/5u33gh

                              <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > here'sthe photo
                              > http://tinyurl.com/6a4oj3

                            • ras_kapone
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 23, 2008
                                no image bro... the image has been deleted... :(
                              • rasadam
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 27, 2008

                                  http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd297/Ras_Solo/

                                  > http://tinyurl.com/5u33gh