denis gerard book

  • rasadam
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
    • Nick Alexander
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
        hey man i have a question. Who knows the lyrics for the GIGI song Adwa, in either Amheric, or english. Thanks
        peace and love,
        Nicklaus

      • Nat Barton
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
          As far as I know, Gigi sings in a Gojjami dialect, which, while having much in common with Amharic, is not Amharic proper. Most Ethiopians I know, still don't know what she's singing word for word. The I might have to find someone from the Gojjam, Bahir Dar area, in order to translate it word for word. She does have a myspace page, you could try to ask her direct. YES Adam I know, Way Off Topic, aznalo! for that.

          Selam

          Nick Alexander <crazygreek702@...> wrote: hey man i have a question. Who knows the lyrics for the GIGI song Adwa, in either Amheric, or english. Thanks
          peace and love,
          Nicklaus

        • solomon kibriye
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
            There is no such thing as a Gojjami dialect. Gojjamis are Amharas, and speak amharic just like Shewans, Gonderes, Wolloyes etc. They have their own accent perhaps, (like a person from the Southern United States has a different accent to their English than someone from Massachussets), but not their own Gojjami dialect. I am an Ethiopian from Shewa and I can understand every single word she sings because it is in clear and concise Amharic.

            Nat Barton <nattysound@...> wrote: As far as I know, Gigi sings in a Gojjami dialect, which, while having much in common with Amharic, is not Amharic proper. Most Ethiopians I know, still don't know what she's singing word for word. The I might have to find someone from the Gojjam, Bahir Dar area, in order to translate it word for word. She does have a myspace page, you could try to ask her direct. YES Adam I know, Way Off Topic, aznalo! for that.

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
              Solomon,

              I'm sure you know better than I, and I'm not trying to contest you. However, I know many Amharas, and Oromos all of whom say that she is speaking a local dialect. As I'm sure you know, the Amharic language has all kinds of differences as one travels from region to region, as various communities add their own variations. I did not mean to imply that Gojjami was its own language, I meant that it was a type of Amharic. My bad. I'm sure it could easily be as simple as the difference of a southern accent, but I'm sure you also realize that a southerner can seriously flip the language, no?

              Selam

              solomon kibriye <skibriye@...> wrote: There is no such thing as a Gojjami dialect. Gojjamis are Amharas, and speak amharic just like Shewans, Gonderes, Wolloyes etc. They have their own accent perhaps, (like a person from the Southern United States has a different accent to their English than someone from Massachussets), but not their own Gojjami dialect. I am an Ethiopian from Shewa and I can understand every single word she sings because it is in clear and concise Amharic.

              Nat Barton <nattysound@...> wrote: As far as I know, Gigi sings in a Gojjami dialect, which, while having much in common with Amharic, is not Amharic proper. Most Ethiopians I know, still don't know what she's singing word for word. The I might have to find someone from the Gojjam, Bahir Dar area, in order to translate it word for word. She does have a myspace page, you could try to ask her direct. YES Adam I know, Way Off Topic, aznalo! for that.

              Selam

              Nick Alexander <crazygreek702@...> wrote: hey man i have a question. Who knows the lyrics for the GIGI song Adwa, in either Amheric, or english. Thanks
              peace and love,
              Nicklaus

            • mystic tafari
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
                I concur with that statement because I am Ethiopian
                from Gondar and I also can ovas every word. No doubt
                that she and toerh Gojjamis speak Amharic (Amharigna)
                because i just came frward from Bahi Dar. As a matter
                of fact that is Bahir dar is like the HQ for Amhara
                pride.
                Meskarem
                --- solomon kibriye <skibriye@...> wrote:

                > There is no such thing as a Gojjami dialect.
                > Gojjamis are Amharas, and speak amharic just like
                > Shewans, Gonderes, Wolloyes etc. They have their
                > own accent perhaps, (like a person from the Southern
                > United States has a different accent to their
                > English than someone from Massachussets), but not
                > their own Gojjami dialect. I am an Ethiopian from
                > Shewa and I can understand every single word she
                > sings because it is in clear and concise Amharic.
                >
                > Nat Barton <nattysound@...> wrote: As
                > far as I know, Gigi sings in a Gojjami dialect,
                > which, while having much in common with Amharic, is
                > not Amharic proper. Most Ethiopians I know, still
                > don't know what she's singing word for word. The I
                > might have to find someone from the Gojjam, Bahir
                > Dar area, in order to translate it word for word.
                > She does have a myspace page, you could try to ask
                > her direct. YES Adam I know, Way Off Topic, aznalo!
                > for that.
                >
                > Selam
                >
                > Nick Alexander <crazygreek702@...> wrote: hey
                > man i have a question. Who knows the lyrics for the
                > GIGI song Adwa, in either Amheric, or english.
                > Thanks
                > peace and love,
                > Nicklaus

                > removed]

                > removed]

                > removed]

                Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                Access over 1 million songs.
                http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
              • Yared Haile Selassie
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2007
                  Selam all,
                  I think Nat was mixing up things. Gigi sings some
                  songs in the Agew language, which is spoken in
                  different parts of Ethiopia. The language is not
                  comprehendable for Amharic speakers. But most songs
                  are in Amharic.
                  Greetings
                  Yared

                  --- solomon kibriye <skibriye@...> schrieb:

                  > There is no such thing as a Gojjami dialect.
                  > Gojjamis are Amharas, and speak amharic just like
                  > Shewans, Gonderes, Wolloyes etc. They have their
                  > own accent perhaps, (like a person from the Southern
                  > United States has a different accent to their
                  > English than someone from Massachussets), but not
                  > their own Gojjami dialect. I am an Ethiopian from
                  > Shewa and I can understand every single word she
                  > sings because it is in clear and concise Amharic.
                  >
                  > Nat Barton <nattysound@...> wrote: As
                  > far as I know, Gigi sings in a Gojjami dialect,
                  > which, while having much in common with Amharic, is
                  > not Amharic proper. Most Ethiopians I know, still
                  > don't know what she's singing word for word. The I
                  > might have to find someone from the Gojjam, Bahir
                  > Dar area, in order to translate it word for word.
                  > She does have a myspace page, you could try to ask
                  > her direct. YES Adam I know, Way Off Topic, aznalo!
                  > for that.
                  >
                  > Selam
                  >
                  > Nick Alexander <crazygreek702@...> wrote: hey
                  > man i have a question. Who knows the lyrics for the
                  > GIGI song Adwa, in either Amheric, or english.
                  > Thanks
                  > peace and love,
                  > Nicklaus

                  > removed]

                  > removed]

                  > removed]

                • Nat Barton
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2007
                    Okay, now that makes sense!! once again, sorry for taking this off topic.

                    Selam

                    Yared Haile Selassie <yhaile_selassie@...> wrote: Selam all,
                    I think Nat was mixing up things. Gigi sings some
                    songs in the Agew language, which is spoken in
                    different parts of Ethiopia. The language is not
                    comprehendable for Amharic speakers. But most songs
                    are in Amharic.
                    Greetings
                    Yared

                    --- solomon kibriye <skibriye@...> schrieb:

                    > There is no such thing as a Gojjami dialect.
                    > Gojjamis are Amharas, and speak amharic just like
                    > Shewans, Gonderes, Wolloyes etc. They have their
                    > own accent perhaps, (like a person from the Southern
                    > United States has a different accent to their
                    > English than someone from Massachussets), but not
                    > their own Gojjami dialect. I am an Ethiopian from
                    > Shewa and I can understand every single word she
                    > sings because it is in clear and concise Amharic.
                    >
                    > Nat Barton <nattysound@...> wrote: As
                    > far as I know, Gigi sings in a Gojjami dialect,
                    > which, while having much in common with Amharic, is
                    > not Amharic proper. Most Ethiopians I know, still
                    > don't know what she's singing word for word. The I
                    > might have to find someone from the Gojjam, Bahir
                    > Dar area, in order to translate it word for word.
                    > She does have a myspace page, you could try to ask
                    > her direct. YES Adam I know, Way Off Topic, aznalo!
                    > for that.
                    >
                    > Selam
                    >
                    > Nick Alexander <crazygreek702@...> wrote: hey
                    > man i have a question. Who knows the lyrics for the
                    > GIGI song Adwa, in either Amheric, or english.
                    > Thanks
                    > peace and love,
                    > Nicklaus

                    > removed]

                    > removed]

                    > removed]

                  • skibriye
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2007
                      Indeed, Agew is a very distinct language from Amharic, and indeed
                      would not be understood by an Amharic speaker. Agew was once widely
                      spoken accross much of northern Ethiopia, and in fact the Zagwe
                      dynasty of Emperor's including St. Lalibella are said to have been
                      of ethnic Agew origing. The name "Zagwe" itself is said to have
                      come from "Ze Agew" or "of Agew". Agew Midir is a district within
                      Gojjam and is where most present day speakers of this language live.
                      Sadly the number of people who speak it is dwindling rapidly. Agew
                      is much older than Amharic, and is probably as old as Tigrigna and
                      can trace it's lineage to Ge'ez along with Tigrigna and Amharic.

                      Regards,
                      Solomon

                      --- In haileselassieiofethiopia@yahoogroups.com, Yared Haile
                      Selassie <yhaile_selassie@...> wrote:

                      > Selam all,
                      > I think Nat was mixing up things. Gigi sings some
                      > songs in the Agew language, which is spoken in
                      > different parts of Ethiopia. The language is not
                      > comprehendable for Amharic speakers. But most songs
                      > are in Amharic.
                      > Greetings
                      > Yared
                      >
                      > --- solomon kibriye <skibriye@...> schrieb:
                      >
                      > > There is no such thing as a Gojjami dialect.
                      > > Gojjamis are Amharas, and speak amharic just like
                      > > Shewans, Gonderes, Wolloyes etc. They have their
                      > > own accent perhaps, (like a person from the Southern
                      > > United States has a different accent to their
                      > > English than someone from Massachussets), but not
                      > > their own Gojjami dialect. I am an Ethiopian from
                      > > Shewa and I can understand every single word she
                      > > sings because it is in clear and concise Amharic.
                      > >
                      > > Nat Barton <nattysound@...> wrote: As
                      > > far as I know, Gigi sings in a Gojjami dialect,
                      > > which, while having much in common with Amharic, is
                      > > not Amharic proper. Most Ethiopians I know, still
                      > > don't know what she's singing word for word. The I
                      > > might have to find someone from the Gojjam, Bahir
                      > > Dar area, in order to translate it word for word.
                      > > She does have a myspace page, you could try to ask
                      > > her direct. YES Adam I know, Way Off Topic, aznalo!
                      > > for that.
                      > >
                      > > Selam
                      > >
                      > > Nick Alexander <crazygreek702@...> wrote: hey
                      > > man i have a question. Who knows the lyrics for the
                      > > GIGI song Adwa, in either Amheric, or english.
                      > > Thanks
                      > > peace and love,
                      > > Nicklaus

                      > > removed]

                      > > removed]

                      > > removed]

                      > Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC:
                      http://messenger.yahoo.de

                    • Yared Haile Selassie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 7, 2007
                        Dear Solomon,
                        Agew is a cushitic language and can't trace it's
                        origins to Ge'ez, as far as I know! And about the age
                        of Amharic and Tigrigna: Are there any books about
                        that interesting topic?
                        Regards,
                        Yared