Linux Kernel Source for a Debian MV2

  • m3d1aus3r
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
      Say, if one wanted to compile a kernel for the MV2, where would one go to get the proper .config file? /proc does not seem to have it.

      I was hoping to get the (patched) kernel source from the Debian archive, and, armed with a proper .config files, kindly request my trusty little MV2 to compile its own brain.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
        * m3d1aus3r <francois.mertz@...> [2010-03-01 21:00]:
        > Say, if one wanted to compile a kernel for the MV2, where would one
        > go to get the proper .config file? /proc does not seem to have it.

        Look for /boot/config-*

        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
          On the same subject, what would be the "best" source for a kernel tree for the MV2? I was hoping to get a kernel with all the MV2 additions, like support for the LED/GPIO, and the rest of the orion improvements.

          For a recent kernel, I could get 2.6.32.8 from backports.org. I gather this is a Debianized kernel, and probably would be a very good starting point. Would this have your performance fix already?

          An alternative is a tree from kernel.org. I could get 2.6.32.9 or even 2.6.33.

          What would you recommend? I have the serial console and the installer, so if it does not boot anymore, I could just revert to what I have now. No big deal. Thanks in advance.

          --- In hackingthemediavault@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * m3d1aus3r <francois.mertz@...> [2010-03-01 21:00]:
          > > Say, if one wanted to compile a kernel for the MV2, where would one
          > > go to get the proper .config file? /proc does not seem to have it.
          >
          > Look for /boot/config-*
          >
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

        • Martin Michlmayr
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
            * m3d1aus3r <francois.mertz@...> [2010-03-04 18:54]:
            > For a recent kernel, I could get 2.6.32.8 from backports.org. I gather this is a Debianized kernel, and probably would be a very good starting point. Would this have your performance fix already?

            Yes.

            > An alternative is a tree from kernel.org. I could get 2.6.32.9 or even 2.6.33.

            Yes, any modern kernel will do.

            > What would you recommend? I have the serial console and the
            > installer, so if it does not boot anymore, I could just revert to
            > what I have now. No big deal. Thanks in advance.

            Can you remind me again why you want to rebuild the kernel in the
            first place?
            --
            Martin Michlmayr
            http://www.cyrius.com/
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
              Thanks for the pointers. I'll probably go with backports.org.

              > Can you remind me again why you want to rebuild the kernel in the
              > first place?

              For sport, really. I would like to further my knowledge of the kernel in general, and compiling the source seemed like a good place to start.
            • Kevin Smathers
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
                As I understand it a more typical setup for ARM development is to use a
                faster and less memory constrained workstation with a cross compiler
                rather than compile directly on the system. The MV2 does have enough
                memory to compile the whole system, but it may be rather time
                consuming. GCC observes the ulimit settings, so you may want to use
                'ulimit -v 126984' to make GCC stay within the real memory available.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9, 2010
                  Thanks for the pointers. I am aware of this, and have resisted going down that path up to now. It seems like another large number of variables to introduce into the mix of things, when most is new to me to begin with...

                  If I was to change perspective, would buildroot be a good start? Crosstool also comes to mind...

                  Also, and don't quote me on this, but I thought that Debian packages were never cross compiled, and that Debian made various machines of each architecture available to the maintainers.

                  After looking into the .config file, it seems like a large number of options are turned on (compiled in or modules), so the make time is going to be long.

                  Thanks for ulimit.