Re: [hackingthemediavault] updating my MV2

  • Lee Devlin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2010
      The MV2 has a drive size limit of 1TB per drive.  The best way to do upgrade the size of the drive(s) is to backup the data and replace both drives at once, using the firmware update utility.  Otherwise, if you just replaced one drive with a 1TB drive, it would give you the option to repair the mirror, but it wouldn't make use of the other 500GB on the replacement drive.

      If you have two mismatched drives and create a mirror for the first time, then it will automatically allocate the left over space to a non-mirrored volume, but that doesn't happen when you're just fixing a mirror.

      -Lee

      On 2/25/2010 2:03 PM, mgodawski wrote:

      Good afternoon. I've done searches on the old messages and haven't found any that apply.

      I have a MV2 with 2 500GB and would like to exchange one of the 500GB for a 1.5GB or 2GB.

      Can anybody advise how to do this short of pulling out the old drive and putting in the new one and picking up the pieces when some of my files are now missing...

      Appreciate your help!

      mike

    • Rob Antonishen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2010
        Also on this issue, I currently have mirrored 500 Gb drives in a MV2.
        I would like to upgrade to mirrored 1Tb drives.

        Could I pull one of the mirrored drives, drop it in a USB enclosure,
        perform a backup to that, install the 1Tb drives then reload the data?

        -Rob A>

        On 2/25/10, Lee Devlin <lee810@...> wrote:

        > The MV2 has a drive size limit of 1TB per drive.  The best way to do upgrade
        > the size of the drive(s) is to backup the data and replace both drives at
        > once, using the firmware update utility.  Otherwise, if you just replaced
        > one drive with a 1TB drive, it would give you the option to repair the
        > mirror, but it wouldn't make use of the other 500GB on the replacement
        > drive.
        >
        > If you have two mismatched drives and create a mirror for the first time,
        > then it will automatically allocate the left over space to a non-mirrored
        > volume, but that doesn't happen when you're just fixing a mirror.
        >
        > -Lee
        >
        > On 2/25/2010 2:03 PM, mgodawski wrote:
        >>

        >> Good afternoon. I've done searches on the old messages and haven't found
        >> any that apply.
        >>
        >> I have a MV2 with 2 500GB and would like to exchange one of the 500GB for
        >> a 1.5GB or 2GB.
        >>
        >> Can anybody advise how to do this short of pulling out the old drive and
        >> putting in the new one and picking up the pieces when some of my files are
        >> now missing...
        >>
        >> Appreciate your help!
        >>
        >> mike

      • Seto
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2010
          Sorry this message took so long to get through moderation. I guess neither I or Lee got to it. Hopefully this will become less common since I added rules on my inbox. Moderation stuff goes off to a separate folder so I will see it, instead of being mixed in with a bunch of other stuff...

          Chris