RE: [hackers-il] Women of the web

    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      > Yes, hackers-il doesn't have much to with programming, as 90% of the
      previous
      > threads showed. But I like it this way.

      It was never meant to be about programming. The original plan was to have
      "everything computer related - discussed intelligently".

      I think that with a broad enough definition of related - we are doing ok :-)
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2001
        BTW, all the playboy related messages found their way into my *don't read at
        work* folder.

        I guess my mail sorting scripts are a bit too sensitive.

        I don't have playboy as a keyword, but I have a threshold on the density of
        "porn" and "adult in a message. Oleg and Nadav messages seem to have a ratio
        high enough to fall into the dubious mails category.

        :-)
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2001
          Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

          > I don't have playboy as a keyword, but I have a threshold on the density of
          > "porn" and "adult in a message. Oleg and Nadav messages seem to have a ratio
          > high enough to fall into the dubious mails category.

          Our sysadmin assures me there is no screening or filtering of email
          (one of the main reasons I left my previous jobs). ;-)

          --
          Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
          "I'd rather write programs to write programs than write programs."
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2001
            "Nadav Har'El" <nyh@...> writes:

            > People
            > writing pages about Bill Clinton, about the U.S., about the presidency
            > in the U.S., people who work in the whitehouse, and all-in-all I would
            > think that thousands of different pages, by thousands of different real
            > people, probably link to whitehouse.gov.

            You are right, of course: people looking for Bill Clinton will find
            whitehouse.gov (or would they? :-)).

            > But who would link to whitehouse.com (a porn site, I presume)?

            Other similar sites? That's what I said - I have no idea whether that
            industry is primarily competitive or co-operative.

            > > too quickly. For the record, I haven't bought a copy for ages (grown
            > > up? ;-) - maybe it's changed...
            >
            > Your last sentence is a Freudian slip - with it you show how you also
            > think that Playboy is really about the bawdy pictures that a teenage
            > would look for, and not about the articles a sophisticated adult would
            > look for.

            It was not intended to be a Freudian slip - I put a smiley there
            intentionally, referring obliquely to the prevalent perception. I used
            to read Playboy (enjoying the pictures on the way - but as I said - I
            find them quite innocent, PG13 probably), and even considered
            subscribing to it when I lived in the US. I am not ashamed of it in
            any way, and what I wrote about my opinion of Playboy was very serious.