RE: [hackers-il] Women of the web

    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      > By the way, www.playboy.com used to have a decent computer column,
      > proving that you don't have to be dumb to be a playmate. Is it still
      > there?

      I found their computer section too gadget oriented for my preferences.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2001
        > Yes, hackers-il doesn't have much to with programming, as 90% of the
        previous
        > threads showed. But I like it this way.

        It was never meant to be about programming. The original plan was to have
        "everything computer related - discussed intelligently".

        I think that with a broad enough definition of related - we are doing ok :-)
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2001
          BTW, all the playboy related messages found their way into my *don't read at
          work* folder.

          I guess my mail sorting scripts are a bit too sensitive.

          I don't have playboy as a keyword, but I have a threshold on the density of
          "porn" and "adult in a message. Oleg and Nadav messages seem to have a ratio
          high enough to fall into the dubious mails category.

          :-)
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2001
            Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

            > I don't have playboy as a keyword, but I have a threshold on the density of
            > "porn" and "adult in a message. Oleg and Nadav messages seem to have a ratio
            > high enough to fall into the dubious mails category.

            Our sysadmin assures me there is no screening or filtering of email
            (one of the main reasons I left my previous jobs). ;-)

            --
            Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
            "I'd rather write programs to write programs than write programs."
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2001
              "Nadav Har'El" <nyh@...> writes:

              > People
              > writing pages about Bill Clinton, about the U.S., about the presidency
              > in the U.S., people who work in the whitehouse, and all-in-all I would
              > think that thousands of different pages, by thousands of different real
              > people, probably link to whitehouse.gov.

              You are right, of course: people looking for Bill Clinton will find
              whitehouse.gov (or would they? :-)).

              > But who would link to whitehouse.com (a porn site, I presume)?

              Other similar sites? That's what I said - I have no idea whether that
              industry is primarily competitive or co-operative.

              > > too quickly. For the record, I haven't bought a copy for ages (grown
              > > up? ;-) - maybe it's changed...
              >
              > Your last sentence is a Freudian slip - with it you show how you also
              > think that Playboy is really about the bawdy pictures that a teenage
              > would look for, and not about the articles a sophisticated adult would
              > look for.

              It was not intended to be a Freudian slip - I put a smiley there
              intentionally, referring obliquely to the prevalent perception. I used
              to read Playboy (enjoying the pictures on the way - but as I said - I
              find them quite innocent, PG13 probably), and even considered
              subscribing to it when I lived in the US. I am not ashamed of it in
              any way, and what I wrote about my opinion of Playboy was very serious.