Measuring interest (was: Re: Limits and Sequences (was: Re: [hackers-il] Interesting time_t))

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 20, 2001
      On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

      > Of course this is not true for a general property! But for our (very broad)
      > "interesting-ness" property, you must agree that if a whole sequence is
      > interesting, then so is its limit? If you knew an interesting sequence,
      > wouldn't you be interested in its limit?

      Back to definition of "interesting-ness".
      How about trying to define it, and seeing whether it satisfies the
      property that: the limit of a sequence of elements, satisfying property P,
      also satisfies property P?

      One possible way to try to define it:
      Expose the possibly-interesting object to the sense organs of N persons,
      and determine their reactions by means of a polygraph.
      If at least M (M <= N) subjects exhibit responses higher than a certain
      threshold, then the object is deemed to be interesting.

      From the above empirical and physical definition, the next step is to
      abstract a mathematical definition (such as one using the value of a
      cross-correlation between the subject and sexually explicit material of
      the same dimensionality), and henceforth use it as the mathematical
      definition of "interesting-ness".
      --- Omer
      There is no IGLU cabal. It has abysmally low "interesting-ness" score.