Re: Re[2]: [hackers-il] scheme

  • Moshe Zadka
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2000
      On Wed, 10 May 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > (define mydll (load-dll "shlomif"))
      > (define stub1 (get-dll-func mydll "hello" (list "int" "string") "int"))
      > (define ret (stub1 5 "Argument No. 2"))
      >
      > Now, whatever is found in the function hello in the shlomif shared library
      > is nothing of anybody' concern as long as its a function that returns an
      > integer and accepts an integer and a string.

      And what if it isn't? Do you get an ordered exception, or a random
      segfault? (Don't be too hasty to answer: the first is impossible to
      implement if the dll comes from C, the second is simply unacceptable to
      any Scheme programmer. What about memory management issues? Who owns the
      memory passed to the routine? And the memory returned from it? What
      happens if the routine uses a call/cc to call to a higher up scheme
      procedure?)

      > > What Perl syntax? That horrible mess of characters?
      >
      > The perl syntax is messy but I happen to like it.

      That doesn't make it less messy.

      > > What Scheme syntax? The one that doesn't exist?
      >
      > What do you mean by Scheme Syntax not existing?

      What I mean is that Scheme's "syntax" is just a parse-tree serialization.
      No shift/reduce left/right association, priorities, or any of those things
      which makes a syntax. IOW, Scheme can be defined without syntax: just
      explain the semantics of lists. The "syntax" is simply the serialization
      format defined by the functions "read" and "write". If you re-implement
      these, you get a Scheme with a different syntax.

      And please: cut the signature from messages you reply to!
      --
      Moshe Zadka <moshez@...>
      http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html