Re: [hackers-il] Pi Day

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2001
      On Thu, Mar 15, 2001, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] Pi Day":
      > Hi,
      >
      > Today happened to be PI-day.

      Pi day? What the heck? Does it occur once ever 314 days? ;)

      Should we write obfuscated-C (or whatever) programs that generate digits of
      Pi to celebrate the occasion?

      > Since I'm a firm believer in the "celebrate for any silly reason"
      > philosophy, I wonder if some of you would like to go out and do something
      > together tonight (yeah, I know its a short notice), and which city you think
      > is appropriate.

      It appears that nothing came out of your good idea :(

      Anyway, I just spent the evening of Pi-day (after spending the day working)
      installing a modem (US Robotics 56K ISA Faxmodem) on my Linux machine. It
      was excruciating - over 3 hours of trial and error, and dozens of wasted
      phone calls. Never mind the strange commands I had to use like

      isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
      setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 3 port 0x3e8 autoconfig

      and strange files I had to edit (isapnp.conf) or pppd/chat scripts I
      had to edit. The worst thing is that I gave the modem some stupid "AT S7=20"
      command at the start because it was in one script I used, and that caused
      the modem to disconnect 20 seconds into the call (usually - in the middle
      of the modem handshaking), and until I did "ATZ" by accident, I wasted
      a couple of hours trying to figure out what on earth was wrong. I even
      tryed a different phone line, a different computer on the same phone line (!),
      arrggg!! There must have been a better way of spending Pi day ;)

      Now I'll finally be able to take my computer to my apartment - until now
      I only had a lousy winmodem that couldn't work with Linux at all, so
      I had to put the machine in my parent's place and connect it to their home
      network.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Friday, Mar 16 2001, 21 Adar 5761
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Open your arms to change, but don't let