Re: Re[2]: [hackers-il] scheme

  • Moshe Zadka
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2000
      On Tue, 9 May 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > 4. Declaring stubs to C functions and libraries. (since Scheme does not
      > have a standard implementation it should have this feature. besides, perl
      > has a modue that can do that).

      This is totally inappropriate. Why C? What if the Scheme is being
      developed in some other language? Do you realize how hard it would be to
      supply such stubs?

      > BTW, I still prefer the perl syntax over the Scheme syntax.

      What Perl syntax? That horrible mess of characters?
      What Scheme syntax? The one that doesn't exist?

      --
      Moshe Zadka <moshez@...>
      http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2000
        On Tue, 9 May 2000, Moshe Zadka wrote:

        > On Tue, 9 May 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote:
        >
        > > 4. Declaring stubs to C functions and libraries. (since Scheme does not
        > > have a standard implementation it should have this feature. besides, perl
        > > has a modue that can do that).
        >
        > This is totally inappropriate. Why C? What if the Scheme is being
        > developed in some other language? Do you realize how hard it would be to
        > supply such stubs?

        I mean generic stubs like :

        (define mydll (load-dll "shlomif"))
        (define stub1 (get-dll-func mydll "hello" (list "int" "string") "int"))
        (define ret (stub1 5 "Argument No. 2"))

        Now, whatever is found in the function hello in the shlomif shared library
        is nothing of anybody' concern as long as its a function that returns an
        integer and accepts an integer and a string.

        > > BTW, I still prefer the perl syntax over the Scheme syntax.
        >
        > What Perl syntax? That horrible mess of characters?

        The perl syntax is messy but I happen to like it.

        > What Scheme syntax? The one that doesn't exist?

        What do you mean by Scheme Syntax not existing? What exactly do you call
        all those parenthesis and whitespaces? Scheme has a very strict syntax if
        I ever saw one.

        And please: cut the insults!

        > Moshe Zadka <moshez@...>
        > http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html
        > http://www.linux.org.il -- we put the penguin in .com

        The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of
        converting any statement that follows it into a true one.
      • Moshe Zadka
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2000
          On Wed, 10 May 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote:

          > (define mydll (load-dll "shlomif"))
          > (define stub1 (get-dll-func mydll "hello" (list "int" "string") "int"))
          > (define ret (stub1 5 "Argument No. 2"))
          >
          > Now, whatever is found in the function hello in the shlomif shared library
          > is nothing of anybody' concern as long as its a function that returns an
          > integer and accepts an integer and a string.

          And what if it isn't? Do you get an ordered exception, or a random
          segfault? (Don't be too hasty to answer: the first is impossible to
          implement if the dll comes from C, the second is simply unacceptable to
          any Scheme programmer. What about memory management issues? Who owns the
          memory passed to the routine? And the memory returned from it? What
          happens if the routine uses a call/cc to call to a higher up scheme
          procedure?)

          > > What Perl syntax? That horrible mess of characters?
          >
          > The perl syntax is messy but I happen to like it.

          That doesn't make it less messy.

          > > What Scheme syntax? The one that doesn't exist?
          >
          > What do you mean by Scheme Syntax not existing?

          What I mean is that Scheme's "syntax" is just a parse-tree serialization.
          No shift/reduce left/right association, priorities, or any of those things
          which makes a syntax. IOW, Scheme can be defined without syntax: just
          explain the semantics of lists. The "syntax" is simply the serialization
          format defined by the functions "read" and "write". If you re-implement
          these, you get a Scheme with a different syntax.

          And please: cut the signature from messages you reply to!